The First Wayland Benchmarks From Fedora 20 Show Great Promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Looking good for Wayland. I know someone who's going to wear a monkey suit...

(no, I'm not talking about Shuttleworth, you silly gooses)

Anyway, I'm probably going to have to install Fedora 20 on my test machine when it's released.
    How nice! A fellow LAS fan.

On-topic:
    I almost get goosebumps when I think about how close we are to a X-less desktop. Unfortunately I'll probably have to leave Xfce for GNOME. Let's hope Classic works.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post

On-topic:
      I almost get goosebumps when I think about how close we are to a X-less desktop. Unfortunately I'll probably have to leave Xfce for GNOME. Let's hope Classic works.
      Depends on how much effort the XFCE devs put into porting to GTK3
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

You don't need Intel hardware for the Wayland Tech Preview:

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

On-topic:
          I almost get goosebumps when I think about how close we are to a X-less desktop.
          Very much this. It was only a few years ago that so many thought X was going to be IT for linux for the forseeable future. That Wayland was going to be another Y. That we are at the point we are is due to the elegance of Kristian's vision for how clients and display servers should communicate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Depends on how much effort the XFCE devs put into porting to GTK3
            I don't want to be a party pooper, but porting to GTK3 alone won't magically make XFCE work on Wayland, as some parts (namely, xfwm4) talk directly to X11.

Comment

On-topic:
              Gnome Classic functions okay, but compared to the speed and responsiveness of Xfce it's got nothing.
              Wayland is still over two years away from being production ready anyway, there aren't any EGL blobs for it yet so performance will be limited and it's technically supported by only two compositors, Mutter and Weston. All others are simply forks of the aforementioned two or are largely incomplete.
              You're better off sticking with X11 until these issues have been addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                I don't want to be a party pooper, but porting to GTK3 alone won't magically make XFCE work on Wayland, as some parts (namely, xfwm4) talk directly to X11.
                True, but this whole thing (changing window systems) has been a lesson for every involved. Abstraction. Abstraction. Abstraction. X11 was around for what? Almost 30years? Its not surprising that people just assumed it'd be around for awhile and wrote directly against X. But now we've learned that things change, things DO change, and we need to change with them.

And while I get that you can't help but sometimes right directly against the window system (obviously, for something that low level you will have to) but the lesson then is that FOR the low level stuff, don't tie ENTIRELY to THAT window system. Make it be a 'backend' system so that its maintainable in the future and you can just pop in a new backend if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  True, but this whole thing (changing window systems) has been a lesson for every involved. Abstraction. Abstraction. Abstraction. X11 was around for what? Almost 30years? Its not surprising that people just assumed it'd be around for awhile and wrote directly against X. But now we've learned that things change, things DO change, and we need to change with them.

And while I get that you can't help but sometimes right directly against the window system (obviously, for something that low level you will have to) but the lesson then is that FOR the low level stuff, don't tie ENTIRELY to THAT window system. Make it be a 'backend' system so that its maintainable in the future and you can just pop in a new backend if you need to.
                  Abstraction also means bigger overhead, so as long as there is a single option for a long time, the abstraction should, IMO, be avoided. You will lose less time porting than the time all this overhead will sum up.
                  I'm not against abstracting against OSes, since there will always be several options, but windowing systems for *NIX OSes? There is usually one at a time that actually gets used, with the exception of the Apple world having it's own Quartz. But if you are there, you probably like their GUIs already and don't want to switch.

Comment

Truly hilarious reading the whining of people discussing performance of a compositing engine, etc., that doesn't have 30 years of kruft under it, but only a few years from concept to inception.

In 18 months 90% of the community will be dumping Xorg and using Wayland/Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      Abstraction also means bigger overhead, so as long as there is a single option for a long time, the abstraction should, IMO, be avoided. You will lose less time porting than the time all this overhead will sum up.
                      I'm not against abstracting against OSes, since there will always be several options, but windowing systems for *NIX OSes? There is usually one at a time that actually gets used, with the exception of the Apple world having it's own Quartz. But if you are there, you probably like their GUIs already and don't want to switch.
                      Depends on how much overhead you mean. Displays can only display SO much so if the overhead means the display can push at max 295fps, instead of 300fps, I don't see a problem there. Especially since most displays will cap at 60fps, and gaming displays cap around 120fps. I get your point about overhead, and we should look to find ways to minimize said overhead, but enough abstraction as necessary to provide multiple backends is likely a good idea

Comment

Working...
                      X