Chromium On Wayland "Ozone" Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I'm not saying Chromium is insecure, but saying it has better security than Firefox is just outright zealotry right there :/
    Do you have any specifics that it is not the case? AFAIK, Chromium uses sandboxes making it more secure than Firefox. Firefox is still planning to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
      By default Chromium still contains code, that can't be user disabled, that sends data back to Google, the only difference is that it can be stripped out and compiled at the source level (which almost no one does).

That alone is enough to make me wary of whatever web browser Google is offering.
      Did you read that? It was a bug that was reported and fixed. More than 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
        Do you have any specifics that it is not the case? AFAIK, Chromium uses sandboxes making it more secure than Firefox. Firefox is still planning to do the same.
        True, but Chromium is willingly malicious, as evidenced by its enabled-by-default data leaks. Pick your poison.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
          Same here, feels bad that Intel decided to go with Google instead of Mozilla...
          I'm pretty sure the reason why Intel ports Chromium is because Tizen IVI uses Qt and Digia is leaving WebKit for Chromium for web support in Qt 5.

Comment

I was googling more about ozone-wayland and came across the project page in https://01.org/ozone-wayland
            and a blog posted today https://01.org/ozone-wayland/blogs/k...lcome-our-blog

01.org seems like an online presence for all intel open source projects. I am happy to see that it's not a one time code drop but Intel would be actively working on this.

Comment

Originally posted by chromiumfreak View Post
              I was googling more about ozone-wayland and came across the project page in https://01.org/ozone-wayland
              and a blog posted today https://01.org/ozone-wayland/blogs/k...lcome-our-blog

01.org seems like an online presence for all intel open source projects. I am happy to see that it's not a one time code drop but Intel would be actively working on this.
              Thanks for sharing that, I've bookmarked it.

Comment

I used Firefox for many years, but recently switched to Chrome. I want to like Firefox, I really do, but at least on my machine, it feels buggy and crashy. I can't get through a youtube video without flash player crashing. Resizing the window or scrolling the window also causes flash to crash. The whole browser has quit unexpectedly more times than I care to count. With Chrome, I have not experienced any of these problems. Everything seems to "just work", and a total browser crash is very rare.

I'm on RHEL6 FYI. Google has stopped supporting RHEL6, so Chrome 27 is the last release for this OS. I'll continue to use it, as it works well for me. Also I'm a user not a developer, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but this is my experience with these browsers.

Comment

Bug #1

Originally posted by chromiumfreak View Post
                  01.org
                  Also about time someone claimed Bug #1 for real, with a real chance and a commitment of closing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica679

And "Chromium's security ... far better than Firefox"... really?
                    sandboxing.
                    It's not end all be all, but it sure helps.

Edit:
                    that, and paying bounties for exploits and bugs.

Comment

Don't reply to spambots, please.

Comment

Working...
                      X