Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromium On Wayland "Ozone" Continues

Phoronix: Chromium On Wayland "Ozone" Continues

Several weeks ago Intel developers announced the Ozone-Wayland project as a back-end for the Chromium web-browser to support running directly on Wayland without any X11 dependence. This wasn't just a code drop but Intel developers continue investing in this as an independent project for letting the Google web-browser run great on Wayland/Weston...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately, I use Firefox. And Firefox simply refuses to finish their port to GTK3 that's been in the works for... I don't even know how many years. They say it can build against GTK3 atm, but it's not "supported" and might have issues. Using GTK3 would be a large part in porting Firefox to Wayland :/

By the time they fully switch to GTK3, GTK4.5 is going to be out ffs.

Get your shit together, Mozilla. I can deal with an input type in the HTML5 spec missing from Gecko for a release or two if you would just HURRY THE F*** UP WITH GTK3 >_>

P.S. good on Intel/Chromium for the quick uptake

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      Unfortunately, I use Firefox.
      Same here, feels bad that Intel decided to go with Google instead of Mozilla...

Comment

On Linux, Chromium/Google Chrome destroys Firefox even without Aura.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Just think about this:

Google Chrome is a proprietary software from a country where a government facility can legally force any company to install a backdoor and to keep it secret.

Comment

now if we could just replace Android on every phone with a Wayland-based Chrome OS ... and we're talking .

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              You and I are OBVIOUSLY running different set ups. On my computer Firefox starts in less than a second while chrome usually takes ~1.2-1.5 seconds to start, pages render faster in Firefox and not only that, they render BETTER. Especially fonts. I don't even know how Chrome got so popular with the shit font-rendering it has...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Just think about this:

Google Chrome is a proprietary software from a country where a government facility can legally force any company to install a backdoor and to keep it secret.
                Chromium is not a proprietary software and its performance, security on linux are far better than firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by hooluupog View Post
                  Chromium is not a proprietary software and its performance, security on linux are far better than firefox.
                  By default Chromium still contains code, that can't be user disabled, that sends data back to Google, the only difference is that it can be stripped out and compiled at the source level (which almost no one does).

That alone is enough to make me wary of whatever web browser Google is offering.

Comment

Originally posted by hooluupog View Post
                    Just like I told the last person: on my computer, Firefox outperforms (and out-does on a visual scale) chromium/Chrome BY FAR.

And "Chromium's security ... far better than Firefox"... really? Does somebody have their head stuck up their ass? I mean, it is the Phoronix forums but I didn't think it could get this bad.

I'm not saying Chromium is insecure, but saying it has better security than Firefox is just outright zealotry right there :/

And don't tell me I don't know what I'm saying, I used Chrome/Chromium for two years (on Linux) before switching back to Firefox and I still have it installed and updated. I use it for testing and for general use to see how new versions perform.

Comment

Working...
                    X