NVIDIA & Valve Work Together On SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need optimus maestro, OPTIMUSSSSSSS

yeah yeah lots and lots of love and yet still hasn't added support for this optimus crap which is present in EVERY GOD DAMN notebook with an nvidia chip. If it wasn't for bumblebee I still wouldn't be able to use it at all

Comment

Originally posted by TheScorpion View Post
      yeah yeah lots and lots of love and yet still hasn't added support for this optimus crap which is present in EVERY GOD DAMN notebook with an nvidia chip. If it wasn't for bumblebee I still wouldn't be able to use it at all
      Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there are reasons they can't do that pertaining to what in the Kernel(?) they are allowed to communicate with because their driver isn't open source. If that was opened up they could do it.

I don't see any engineers at NVIDIA getting together after work for a beer and a laugh at the suckers (including me) who have Optimus laptops. I am happy to wait because I know it's getting better and I didn't get into Linux because it just seemed to work with less hassle and configuration than competing options. I'm still celebrating not having a 56K modem anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by TheScorpion View Post
        They couldn't until some critical components were developed into the linux kernel, which took years to finally surface. As of today, one can output nvidia to a screen through a intel card, like in an optimus setup in all dedicated mode, but per application basis mode which Windows 7/8 have is still missing because the kernel and the xserver is still missing some critical components which are in development now.

Comment

@dh04000: Do you have an article on how to do this or if it applies to me? I have optimus but I've just set it to always Intel, I would love to set it to always NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
            @dh04000: Do you have an article on how to do this or if it applies to me? I have optimus but I've just set it to always Intel, I would love to set it to always NVIDIA.
            This is an excellent article on a package to do this on Ubuntu 13.10. To do it on other distro's will require hand tweaking and a don't have an article for this.

Using Nvidia Graphics Drivers With Initial Optimus Support In Ubuntu 13.10 Got Easier With Nvidia-Prime ~ Ubuntu / Linux blog

Comment

Thanks, but I'm on Arch and I can't find a similar package to nividia-prime. It's my work machine so I can't be spending the whole day figuring out how to get back from a blank screen. Will keep waiting.

Comment

Thanks, but I'm on Arch and I can't find a similar package to nividia-prime. It's my work machine so I can't be spending the whole day figuring out how to get back from a blank screen. Will keep waiting.
                I bet arch has a wiki page on setting this up. Why don't you check? Just be careful, it sounds like its easily possible to bork a system with this setup.

Comment

It's till too vague for my taste on a work machine. I'm itching to try though, but last time I did I had to reinstall.

Comment

It's till too vague for my taste on a work machine. I'm itching to try though, but last time I did I had to reinstall.
                    Yikes, I can see why you don't want to try again if it trashed a work machine.

Comment

Yep, I managed to get back to a desktop but something was naffed the whole thing would crash intermittently and had poor performance. Linux is not set up to play nice with driver switching at all. Really bad experiences trying to switch to radeon from fglrx on my HTPC too.

Comment

Working...
                      X