NVIDIA & Valve Work Together On SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    Open ecosystem? Which parts of the NVIDIA drivers and Steam are "open"?

Still, shouldn't complain too much; at least this should get a lot of young hackers involved in Linux.
    I personally try to not be overly cynical about Nvidia, especially as of late. They're doing some work with Redhat that should benefit everyone, they've begun the process of getting some proper documentation for developers (which, i expect in time, this should pan out / work out well), they've released the vendor-neutral libgl stuff and now we hear they are working on SteamOS too... So these are all good signs / postivie things. (aside from other stuff mentioned in the article, like optimizing GTX for linux, etc). + As far as GPU vendors, regardless of being open or not - nvidia provides the best drivers, no contest.

And technically, part of the nvidia binary driver IS open. I patch every nvidia driver for linux-rt. Plus, semi-recently (circa linux-3.10 release time-frame), patching an older driver to support a newer kernel...but yes, obviously it's still somewhat closed / not an ideal situation.

anyway, I am hopeful, even somewhat confident that Nvidia is getting onto the right track, as far as linux development. It may take a while, but they do seem to be shifting mentality, a little.

Comment

NVIDIA better be careful or Microsoft is going to come along and cut off their balls.

Comment

Originally posted by DLay View Post
        Does SteamOS use Wayland?
        SteamOS AFAIK isn't available to the general public yet, so there is no way of knowing anything for sure yet. But, I think there was a press release hinting at a MANTLE like solution bypassing xserver somehow. But, I may have misunderstood or even dreamed this up and are confusing everything as I am so freaken tired and burnt out right now that I can't think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          And any gamemaker can enter the steam store/library if approved by Valve or Greenlight(user approval), including opensource and free games. There is no boggy man to restrict access to the steam ecosystem unless your game is just smut, then it can't be approved. So, is its not open to smut, which is not a loss to 99.9% of gamers.
          Sure... Greenlight is spectacularly open, anyone can get their game into the store. Interested in buying a bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            Steam will NEVER disclose its client...because they CAN'T or else a swarm of hackers will hack the hell of it getting games for free (there was/is even a Russian tool that allowed you to get Steam games for free downloaded directly from Steam servers...i'm talking about games that we are supposed to pay for)...imagine the s++++++m if client was fully disclosed....Steam might as well close doors next day.

BTW....WHY do you think Steam client in any OS gets so many updates almost in a daily basis ?
            Steam faces a daily battle against hackers and they have to change some parts of their code almost daily...
            You talk like Steam successfully erased piracy, man. Truth is, pirated games are still out there, the only reason to pay for games (in a practical way, I mean, not that I don't see how not paying has a negative effect) is because you want to (for example, you acknowledge the work required to produce the game), or because you want the mental masturbation of "achievements". I don't think they will close their doors if they made it easier to pirate, because people is still able to do so right now. There would be a lot of DRM addicted publishers that will probable leave them.

Still, shouldn't complain too much; at least this should get a lot of young hackers involved in Linux.
            The ecosystem is not limited to Steam and the drivers. I think they mean "open" as in "you can give us feedback, we are open to hear from you".

Comment

It's "open" in that it's a heavily modifiable game platform (see: skins) that embraces heavily modifiable games (see: Source's SDK tools and the open-source SDK Base for mods) running on an open OS (see: SteamOS) on hardware built to be customizable. (See: Steam Machines and the Steam controller.)

It's open, not necessarily as in open-source, but everyone should know "open" is more than just a buzzword at Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                You talk like Steam successfully erased piracy, man. Truth is, pirated games are still out there, the only reason to pay for games (in a practical way, I mean, not that I don't see how not paying has a negative effect) is because you want to (for example, you acknowledge the work required to produce the game), or because you want the mental masturbation of "achievements". I don't think they will close their doors if they made it easier to pirate, because people is still able to do so right now. There would be a lot of DRM addicted publishers that will probable leave them.
                I didn't said that !
                ...Its a ongoing "war"....the thing is if they open completely their client, that would even increase further piracy , possibly to a unsustainable level.
                That's what i meant.

Because current piracy you get in torrents not always get you the most recent version of the game and usually don't allow you to play online....fully hacking Steam client/server protocols would not only allow you to get the most recent versions of the games but also play online.

Comment

I didn't said that !
                  ...Its a ongoing "war"....the thing is if they open completely their client, that would even increase further piracy , possibly to a unsustainable level.
                  That's what i meant.

Because current piracy you get in torrents not always get you the most recent version of the game and usually don't allow you to play online....fully hacking Steam client/server protocols would not only allow you to get the most recent versions of the games but also play online.
                  What I'm saying is that it won't, at least for the most common cases. Currently, any given player can get any given game for free. You just need to download a torrent. The people who pay for the games, actually pays for it because they A) know piracy is illegal and B) acknowledge the hard work it is to develop games, and that it should be economically rewarded as any other product. Making it easier to pirate will not change this.

For online games there are alternate servers.
                  There are exceptions where playing online gives an actual boost to the experience but playing offline is not crippling, and that's the ones who probably just get no server for playing online when you pirate them, but everything else under the sun is cracked and running.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                    Consider MANTLE (AMD's new API). I believe it's someway talking to GPU directly, i.e. you need to submit binaries to GPU instead of using GL API.
                    With this simple API, there won't be buggy drivers anymore, but only buggy games.
                    Mantle can be the last nail in traditional consoles coffin....they always had the advantage to talk directly with hardware as opposite to PCs that need video drivers with a relative high level of abstraction...with Mantle, we will get almost same level of direct control (not exactly at same level...i believe there is still a slight level of abstraction but i might be wrong).

The problem of Mantle is that it's a AMD-only thing....unless AMD ( or...Valve (?!?) ) somehow convinces Intel and Nvidia join in...

Comment

Mantle can be the last nail in traditional consoles coffin....they always had the advantage to talk directly with hardware as opposite to PCs that need video drivers with a relative high level of abstraction...with Mantle, we will get almost same level of direct control (not exactly at same level...i believe there is still a slight level of abstraction but i might be wrong).

The problem of Mantle is that it's a AMD-only thing....unless AMD ( or...Valve (?!?) ) somehow convinces Intel and Nvidia join in...
                      I don't think AMD's strategy is to do much "convincing". The primary purpose of Mantle is to have a competitive advantage and sell hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X