Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: NVIDIA & Valve Work Together On SteamOS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,093

    Default NVIDIA & Valve Work Together On SteamOS

    Phoronix: NVIDIA & Valve Work Together On SteamOS

    Last week it was made public that the Linux-based SteamOS-powered Steam Machines console will use Intel CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs in the living room prototypes shipping this calendar year. Now there's a bit more on Valve's relationship with NVIDIA...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3ODc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: NVIDIA & Valve Work Together On SteamOS
    Sartain also said, "Everyone at Valve and NVIDIA believe the SteamOS open ecosystem is a very important move for gaming.
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3ODc
    Open ecosystem? Which parts of the NVIDIA drivers and Steam are "open"?

    Still, shouldn't complain too much; at least this should get a lot of young hackers involved in Linux.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    295

    Default

    It will be more open then windows.

    Directx was once explained to me, as a way to talk directly with the hardware, without MS telling people how windows works.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    22

    Default

    It is open to the point that everyone can just build a Steam Machine himself with the components he chose.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    It is open to the point that everyone can just build a Steam Machine himself with the components he chose.
    And any gamemaker can enter the steam store/library if approved by Valve or Greenlight(user approval), including opensource and free games. There is no boggy man to restrict access to the steam ecosystem unless your game is just smut, then it can't be approved. So, is its not open to smut, which is not a loss to 99.9% of gamers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    And any gamemaker can enter the steam store/library if approved by Valve or Greenlight(user approval), including opensource and free games. There is no boggy man to restrict access to the steam ecosystem unless your game is just smut, then it can't be approved. So, is its not open to smut, which is not a loss to 99.9% of gamers.
    Sure... Greenlight is spectacularly open, anyone can get their game into the store. Interested in buying a bridge?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    Open ecosystem? Which parts of the NVIDIA drivers and Steam are "open"?

    Still, shouldn't complain too much; at least this should get a lot of young hackers involved in Linux.
    "Open" is such a good word (TM) now that everybody want to use it. Event to describe proprietary solution based on proprietary protocol. . . Which is Open ofc. because it can be openly bought by everybody. . .


    But here its about freedom to assemble Your own stuff. As opposed to standard console model where You can not change anything.
    (Also Steam Machines wont be bootloader-locked, that is also another meaning of Open)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    Open ecosystem? Which parts of the NVIDIA drivers and Steam are "open"?

    Still, shouldn't complain too much; at least this should get a lot of young hackers involved in Linux.
    Haha I know right? They're like feminist extremists - they'll claim they support something until it becomes inconvenient for themselves.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Compared to any other console (even compared to Ouya that is totally underpowered) there is a lot of "open" in SteamOS and SteamBox...

    The OS is its majority OSS with only the essential parts to deal with Steam service and display drivers closed source....but, could we ask more in a realistic way ?

    Steam will NEVER disclose its client...because they CAN'T or else a swarm of hackers will hack the hell of it getting games for free (there was/is even a Russian tool that allowed you to get Steam games for free downloaded directly from Steam servers...i'm talking about games that we are supposed to pay for)...imagine the s++++++m if client was fully disclosed....Steam might as well close doors next day.

    BTW....WHY do you think Steam client in any OS gets so many updates almost in a daily basis ?
    Steam faces a daily battle against hackers and they have to change some parts of their code almost daily...


    As for video drivers...taking in account time frame for SB development and launch and legal issues as for disclose important data to OSS drivers devs, it had to be closed source drivers...*maybe* in 1 or 2 more years (and that's optimistic...more like 3 years at least) blobs will/can be replaced by OSS drivers but if Valve waited that much, PS4/Xbone would been so much entrenched that there was no way to SB have a minimum of success.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Steam will NEVER disclose its client...because they CAN'T or else a swarm of hackers will hack the hell of it getting games for free (there was/is even a Russian tool that allowed you to get Steam games for free downloaded directly from Steam servers...i'm talking about games that we are supposed to pay for)...imagine the s++++++m if client was fully disclosed....Steam might as well close doors next day.

    BTW....WHY do you think Steam client in any OS gets so many updates almost in a daily basis ?
    Steam faces a daily battle against hackers and they have to change some parts of their code almost daily...
    You talk like Steam successfully erased piracy, man. Truth is, pirated games are still out there, the only reason to pay for games (in a practical way, I mean, not that I don't see how not paying has a negative effect) is because you want to (for example, you acknowledge the work required to produce the game), or because you want the mental masturbation of "achievements". I don't think they will close their doors if they made it easier to pirate, because people is still able to do so right now. There would be a lot of DRM addicted publishers that will probable leave them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    Open ecosystem? Which parts of the NVIDIA drivers and Steam are "open"?

    Still, shouldn't complain too much; at least this should get a lot of young hackers involved in Linux.
    The ecosystem is not limited to Steam and the drivers. I think they mean "open" as in "you can give us feedback, we are open to hear from you".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •