Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 4960X "Ivy Bridge-E" Is A Beauty On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 4960X "Ivy Bridge-E" Is A Beauty On Linux

The Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition processor is Intel's new $1000+ CPU built atop their "Ivy Bridge" architecture and features six physical cores plus Hyper Threading. The i7-4960X is running at 3.6GHz with a 4.0GHz Turbo Frequency and is all around a super-fast processor. Under Linux, the performance is fantastic and it runs great on modern Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A beauty? An overpriced beast I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      What a great way to put it.

Comment

Nice chip!

I benchmarked my i7 3820 against it.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Whoops! That should have been 4.3GHz not 4.6GHz!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          Intel is famous for squeezing every single...DIME from customers

Also...130W TDP ? I know that there is a big difference in what that means for Intel compared with what it means for AMD but still...long gone is the time i wanted to make rigs with that kind of TDP...

Majority of people in current economy don't even want to spend $1000 in a complete system...

What i like about AMD is precisely the opposite approach..."enough" processing power for average John Doe and push integrated graphics performance as much as possible with everything in a chip with a affordable price tag...shame that their Linux graphic drivers are not on par with what they do for Window$....

Comment

Surely there's a more economical way to get that kind of computing power, at least if one is willing to use more threads. Where are the 16 core CPUs anyway?

Comment

Working...
            X