No announcement yet.

We Have Mir & Wayland, But There Still Could Be X12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Phoronix topic is about as interesting....

...as that unsuccessful Wayland fork by a lone developer awhile back.... or better yet, as interesting as Mir's technical advantages over Wayland.

Comment

Between Mir, Wayland and X12 i prefer... X11 !

Now seriously...i doubt that anyone will ever make a X12.

Mir is distro specific....or at most will be used by direct derivatives.
      However, we can not disregard the weight of those derivatives.
      Way too many distros are Ubuntu derivative...will the responsible for
      those derivatives capacity to force and maintain Wayland against their
      main source for their distros ?
      Mir also seem very imature...for now.

Wayland is waaaayyy too new...you can bet i won't want to be a guinea pig...i want something truly stable...Wayland at least for now won't work (if ever will) with blobs and for *now* blobs are way faster than OSS drivers.
      *I* want max performance...when max performance can be achieved by Wayland (or Mir), i will have no problem using it.

Then there is the Enterprise sector very committed to X11...just like they are to sub-D connectors (AKA VGA connector) , PS2, etc.
      (an example...at least in Europe...any LCD OEM continues to make and evolve 1280x1024 LCDs that, AFAIK, continue all use only sub-D connection...there is a reason for that...funny thing is that is also my favorite type of monitor...16:9 is fantastic...for a TV/Living Room but besides that i prefer good old 5:4 )

Most natural thing is Enterprises continue to use/want X11.

So , yeah, X11 will stay with us for a long long time...even at Desktop level.

Comment

In terms of Internet trolling, I think Michael is coming close to unseating Gaben from the top spot.

Comment

Let it die in peace. No more X for Linux, please.

Comment

Could Wayland evolve into X12?

Or even Mir.

I don't know enough about X to know how it all comes together. (x-server and the other components)

But I have noticed over quite some time now how the x.org guys work on the x server by itself and release it separately with its own versioning number. This is the basis of my question. Why could not Wayland or some other display server form the basis of a new X, once all of the details are ironed out and add-ons put in place?

Comment

Wayland = X12, right?

It's a new, incompatible ap ... with an X backwards compatibility layer, XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                In terms of Internet trolling, I think Michael is coming close to unseating Gaben from the top spot.
                Yeah he's doing quite well indeed. Then again we're here commenting on the "piece" so he's, in a way, a winner..

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  Wayland is waaaayyy too new...you can bet i won't want to be a guinea pig...i want something truly stable...Wayland at least for now won't work (if ever will) with blobs and for *now* blobs are way faster than OSS drivers.
                  Nvidia seems to be wanting to make the OSS driver their new blobby driver. So the distinction between open/closed gets blurred.

I prefer good old 5:4 )
                  "Good old"? How is 5:4 good old? All(most) monitors used to be 4:3 in the past, if anything is "good old" it's 4:3. 5:4 is too close to a square...

Most natural thing is Enterprises continue to use/want X11.

So , yeah, X11 will stay with us for a long long time...even at Desktop level.
                  Except, when RHEL moves to Wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                    I don't know enough about X to know how it all comes together. (x-server and the other components)

But I have noticed over quite some time now how the x.org guys work on the x server by itself and release it separately with its own versioning number. This is the basis of my question. Why could not Wayland or some other display server form the basis of a new X, once all of the details are ironed out and add-ons put in place?
                    Well that is the case already. Wayland basically is the new X. It's basically X12, except that it's entirely different in design than X11 and doesn't maintain compatibility with the X11 codebase... so it's not called X12.

What would the advantage be of renaming Wayland to X-something?

Comment

Hi,
                      in math
                      wayland : X11 = ssd : hdd
                      If you have an ssd on your machine you don't want come back to hdd, never.
                      I can say the same for Wayland and X11.
                      Wayland it's smooth, every frame it's perfect, never feel before a good sensation like this in front of X11.
                      it's the right way to get the job done, it's like supposed to be 10 year ago.
                      Every single hour for X developement is an hour subtracted to wayland development, a waste of time, only X mantainance is acceptable.
                      Last edited by sp82; 03 October 2013, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X