Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.3 Release Candidate 2 Arrives For Testing

Phoronix: Wayland 1.3 Release Candidate 2 Arrives For Testing

The release of Wayland 1.3 and the reference Weston 1.3 compositor is near...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Downstream

Hope it gets picked up by downstream fast.

It probably gets picked up by ArchLinux fast.
    But Debian and Ubuntu still doesn't have 1.2.0.

They're still on 1.1.0 or 1.0.5 or so.

Comment

Fedora 20 doesn't yet seem to offer the Wayland tech preview.

The wayland-mutter stuff is installed by default but no option present at the login screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Fedora is the most important place since it is the gravity center for Wayland and Gnome development. Fear not, Fedora saves all
        Yeah, but it's such a train wreck, aside being an incubation zone for a server OS - I installed the daily build yesterday which made me recall how shitty, weird and fancy is the installer - a bad design for smartphones applied to the PC, like putting lipstick on a pig.
        Last edited by mark45; 03 October 2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Fedora 20 doesn't yet seem to offer the Wayland tech preview.

The wayland-mutter stuff is installed by default but no option present at the login screen.
          GNOME Wayland status under Fedora 20 Alpha

Comment

Yeah pre release Fedora can be a bit shakey. You sound more like an ubuntu kinda guy. Stay at a service packed LTS version to be sure. Have fun in Canonical land when Mir is released.
            whats this Mir thing you're talking about sounds like vaporware to me

Comment

Yeah pre release Fedora can be a bit shakey. You sound more like an ubuntu kinda guy. Stay at a service packed LTS version to be sure. Have fun in Canonical land when Mir is released.
              For sure, anyone not loving Fedora must be an Ubuntu user. Another great example of Honton's logic.

Comment

Fedora is the most important place since it is the gravity center for Wayland and Gnome development. Fear not, Fedora saves all
                I thought you didn't like MIT-licensed software? Weston is MIT-licensed and only works with MIT-licensed graphics drivers.

Comment

I dislike Canonical and hate Mir, all for wayland, but apparently I'll use Ubuntu & Mir cause I find Unity a lot better thought out than Gnome 3 and desktop Fedora, despite Fedora probably being technically superior, which is why Fedora sucks to me as a desktop solution but is good for servers. So I'm not ideological, I go for what's easiest and sucks less out of the box. If Fedora makes a redesign of Gnome 3 to the better I'll switch over.
                  Last edited by mark45; 03 October 2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I suggest you start out thinking really hard about the difference between FSF-style CA and commercial CLA
                    Actually, I'd like you to explain this to me.

As a general rule I accept different levels of restrictions to different kind of software can be beneficial, but asymmetric licensing is always wrong.
                    1) You can accept software which can be closed by anyone at any time.

2) You can't accept Qt which is LGPL and can be closed by one party only, and if that happens, it automatically becomes 1)

No, I don't understand it because it doesn't make any sense. A neutral observer would get the idea that you are simply trolling, as evidenced by all your "KDE is dying" posts.

Comment

Working...
                    X