Multi-Monitor Support Is Not XMir's Only Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

canonical is schizophrenic and stupid.

So they are going to deliver Xmir/Mir on a LTS release?

this is the kind of decision making that will ensure they will always remain irrelevant in IT.

You had the chance to ship 13.10 with xmir by default and have, at least people running intel gfx, beta test your product... and you're worried about multi monior support and BS little shit???

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      this is the kind of decision making that will ensure they will always remain irrelevant in IT.
      I'd be pretty shocked if that happens. If their goal is to get it into an LTS release sooner rather than later, the more likely scenario (to me) is for them to break the current cycle by making 14.04 NOT an LTS release and instead delay the next LTS to 14.10 so they can beta Mir in 14.04.

Comment

Do they need XMir for legacy support?

Ubuntu needs XMir for legacy support

But they can also be as Chakra - all qt - adapt every X.org package at the repository to Mir

In the meantime they can have a distro with Mir plus Xorg as Chrome OS with Crouton for rare packages.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
          Ubuntu needs XMir for legacy support

But they can also be as Chakra - all qt - adapt every X.org package at the repository to Mir

In the meantime they can have a distro with Mir plus Xorg as Chrome OS with Crouton for rare packages.
          Yes as all of the core to Wayland in the kernel mesa etc they're using was developed for Next Gen GPU's Etc and not the 10 year old GPU's like many Ubuntu users have today

Comment

whut akincer?

they can't do that as they will lose all the credibility they (still?) have.

14.04 is going to be LTS and they can either choose to use it as a test bed for Xmir/mir or they can simply do what they did for 13.10 and simply revert back to using xorg like a bunch of wusses.

Comment

whut akincer?

they can't do that as they will lose all the credibility they (still?) have.

14.04 is going to be LTS and they can either choose to use it as a test bed for Xmir/mir or they can simply do what they did for 13.10 and simply revert back to using xorg like a bunch of wusses.
              Would it be possible to have a switch with Xmir/mir/unity8 or xorg/unity7 kind of like what they did with 12.04 with unity2d or unity3d at login ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                What do you mean? You don't have to use Unity to have Ubuntu. You can use XFCE (Xubuntu) if you like. But, I think DE Devs need to stop making dramatic changes just for the sake of change. I liked KDE before they did all that Plasma crap, and Gnome before they moved to their Tablet interface. XFCE is pretty much the same, that's the way I like it.
                1+ ........

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                  Would it be possible to have a switch with Xmir/mir/unity8 or xorg/unity7 kind of like what they did with 12.04 with unity2d or unity3d at login ?
                  You can switch between Xorg and XMir in 13.10 but that requiers editing a config file and then restarting LightDM. I'm sure if they really wanted it could be made into a separate sessions for LightDM.

They also plan to add Unity 8 on Mir session in 13.10 but that's only plan. This version of Unity has only phone and tablet form factors and it's a work in progress.

Comment

You had the chance to ship 13.10 with xmir by default and have, at least people running intel gfx, beta test your product... and you're worried about multi monior support and BS little shit???
                    You don't beta test a product with an official release. This is why the Linux desktop is such a cluster-f.

I have a weird idea. How about if nobody releases a damn thing until it's 100% tested and working and not a fubar'd pile of crap? It can really save a lot of users a ton of headaches and at the same time improve a company's credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      You don't beta test a product with an official release. This is why the Linux desktop is such a cluster-f.

I have a weird idea. How about if nobody releases a damn thing until it's 100% tested and working and not a fubar'd pile of crap? It can really save a lot of users a ton of headaches and at the same time improve a company's credibility.

trollololol yeah I guess canonical never pushed half assed shit out the door *coff*unity*coff*upstart*coff

they got shy now? how hard would it be to have a clickable script that would switch between xorg and xmir?

Here's canonical's real press release:

" hey fagzors we no longer give a shit about the desktop since we clearly aren't going nowheres fast lol ... we're all about dat dere smartphones now... in order to fail as hard in mobile space as we failed in desktop space we had to diverge our coders into writting their patented fail code into phones so now we have no time to deal with you and your "xmir broke my intels" shit, so fuck off, we only asked for 30 million dollars and you jew motherfuckers didn't even give us 10 million and now you want xmir for free? fuck dat you will get mir when you buy one of our ubuntu phones "

Comment

Working...
                      X