Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Monitor Support Is Not XMir's Only Problem

Phoronix: Multi-Monitor Support Is Not XMir's Only Problem

Yesterday it was announced that (X)Mir will not be used in Ubuntu 13.10 by default as was originally planned for the desktop Linux distribution updating this month. Cited as a reason was the multi-monitor support not being ready, but there's also several other user-facing issues present in the land of Mir...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

He is right with everything he said but that last comment makes no sense. They still need XMir even with Unity 8, because not all applications will be ported to native Mir.

Comment

It's not that bad

I ended up trying out mir, and it's multimonitor support for fullscreen applications is better than Windows. In 8.1, which has much better multi-monitor handling, when I try to play a game fullscreen, while playing a video and it's audio via hdmi, the system will lock up and I'll have to close one of them.

In Ubuntu, running mir, I was able to play Sherlock Holmes through the hdmi fullscreen and play garry's mod at the same time. It's very possible it's just a linux or opengl specific thing. Regardless, it's nice to have.
      The only thing keeping me from doing that is the hdmi audio out. As in, it doesn't have hdmi audio out, not even via ALSA.

Besides, whther by Wayland or Mir, it doesn't matter, the old xserver has to go.
      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 02 October 2013, 06:53 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        He is right with everything he said but that last comment makes no sense. They still need XMir even with Unity 8, because not all applications will be ported to native Mir.
        Rootless XMir is a significantly easier project.

Comment

Originally posted by mjg59 View Post
          well of course, current XMir design was a very idiotic idea since day one and it seems they realized it the hard way. At least seems it was an acceptable as an publicity stunt but the most interesting thing is that all the work in current XMir have to be scrapped and become rootless to be able to work on unity 8 since you can't have 2 fullscreen root windows in the same display

Comment

Why are all the distro makers screwing up our desktops?

Comment

Am I seriously the only person who wants to see the performance regression on non-fullscreen applications? E.g. I like to watch some HD videos (like youtube videos in 720p and videos on my desktop in 1080p) with the window maximized but without the video being fullscreen. It's not a "standard" user case to most, but it's important to me.

I mean, it's all for moot anyway (one release with XMir as the root server, then 6 months devoted to reducing it to a rootless single-window thing) but it'd be interesting to see. Just because they did composite bypassing on the fullscreen apps doesn't mean all performance regressions were fixed :/

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                Am I seriously the only person who wants to see the performance regression on non-fullscreen applications? E.g. I like to watch some HD videos (like youtube videos in 720p and videos on my desktop in 1080p) with the window maximized but without the video being fullscreen. It's not a "standard" user case to most, but it's important to me.

I mean, it's all for moot anyway (one release with XMir as the root server, then 6 months devoted to reducing it to a rootless single-window thing) but it'd be interesting to see. Just because they did composite bypassing on the fullscreen apps doesn't mean all performance regressions were fixed :/
                Minimizing/Maximizing was slower on my very low-end AMD E-350 APU notebook with XMir.

Comment

Originally posted by mjg59 View Post
                  Yep, that's the catch. Running a rootless X server for applications is no big deal - it's the same way X apps can run under windows via servers like Xming. Running a full-screen hardware-accelerated X desktop on top of an extra layer? That's a *lot* harder to do.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Why are all the distro makers screwing up our desktops?
                    What do you mean? You don't have to use Unity to have Ubuntu. You can use XFCE (Xubuntu) if you like. But, I think DE Devs need to stop making dramatic changes just for the sake of change. I liked KDE before they did all that Plasma crap, and Gnome before they moved to their Tablet interface. XFCE is pretty much the same, that's the way I like it.

Comment

Working...
                    X