Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Open-Source Linux

Phoronix: 16-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Open-Source Linux

To get October off to a good start, in this article are benchmark results of sixteen Intel HD, AMD Radeon, and NVIDIA GeForce graphics processors all being tested from the latest open-source Linux graphics driver stack. The test setup is powered by the Linux 3.12 development kernel and the Mesa 9.3.0-devel OpenGL drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

thumbs up

nice and hard work.

Comment

Yes, nice work.

I'm a little confused about the Unigine results though; your charts show that the frame rates are higher when using a higher output resolution. How can doing more work be faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
        Yes, nice work.

I'm a little confused about the Unigine results though; your charts show that the frame rates are higher when using a higher output resolution. How can doing more work be faster?
        I've noticed that in tests for a while now. It could be something about hitting the monitors native resolution avoiding some slow operation, but it is definitely weird. I thought it was a typo the first few times i caught it.

Comment

It will be nice to see AMD vs INTEL APUs comprision test. AMD products with both closed + open source drivers with 2133MHz RAM and Intel with fastest available RAM for those platforms too. Power saving test included for those platforms will be also nice.

Anyway thanks Michael for nice test on Linux

Comment

I'm not sure what's up with Michael's 6570. It performs much lower than expected on the first 3 pages of tests, and then performs where you would expect it to perform realtive to the other asics on the last 4 pages of tests.

Comment

Thanks for this brilliant comparison! I already saw the separate Radeon and Nouveau results and that led me to get a Radeon HD 6000 series. I'm very happy with it. Using an open source* driver is important to me, but nouveau support for my former Nvidia card was still after many months' active development just too slow and unstable for serious use.

* radeon driver still requires non-free microcode blob; but there again much source code of the supposedly 'open' nouveau driver is just magic numbers being shoved into registers, and comments like "not sure what this part does".

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                It will be nice to see AMD vs INTEL APUs comprision test. AMD products with both closed + open source drivers with 2133MHz RAM and Intel with fastest available RAM for those platforms too. Power saving test included for those platforms will be also nice.

Anyway thanks Michael for nice test on Linux
                there is no such thing as intel apu.
                it's the same architecture as a pentium D but with better cpu and gpu.
                how the hell intel has an apu?
                if that is happening the all cpu+gpu dies are apus.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                  there is no such thing as intel apu.
                  if that is happening the all cpu+gpu dies are apus.
                  I think APU is just being used as shorthand for "CPU and integrated GPU".

Comment

any way to test non-gameing performance?

I have been running a slightly older AMD card with multiple rotated monitors and i've found that simple text scrolling in an xterm is noticably slow. I know that the 3D gameing performance is what's sexy, but many people spend far more time not using games :-)

Thisis a HD6770 card with a pair of HD monitors that I've had for a few years. The card is old enough that the closed source drivers call it unsupported, so I'm looking for a replacement, but don't want to waste money on something that's not an improvement

Comment

Working...
                    X