Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's September Hardware Survey For Linux

Phoronix: Steam's September Hardware Survey For Linux

As usual, with the start of a new month comes Valve's updated Steam Hardware Survey. The Linux usage is still floating around 1% with not much change compared to the prior month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

64-bit?

Any 64-bit Steam client yet?
    Any 64-bit Linux games on Steam yet?
    Any open source games on Steam yet?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      it works without effort on 64bit distros, so how much does it matter.

warsow is on its way

if you want lots of open source games, then just install them through your normal package manager.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        1. What for?
        2. 64-bit games are supported since 2 months or so, not sure what games are offering 64-bit executables though
        3. You can add your own custom games ofc., but as far as bringing open source games to the platform goes, not yet

Comment

Seen as the survey is a random pop up I would have thought that Valve has the true numbers.

As in does the steam client tell Valve what OS its using at login ?

Just guessing. Would be interesting to find out!

Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
            Seen as the survey is a random pop up I would have thought that Valve has the true numbers.
            If the results come out the same each month then the sample size is large enough.

It would be interesting to know what they are actually measuring. Is it fraction of logins, fraction of hours logged in, fraction of hours played, fraction of titles bought or fraction of users? If someone created an account, logged in once per month but never bought or played a game, are they as likely to be counted to some one spends $ and time every day? If people leave the client running 24/7 are they more likely to be counted?

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

As in does the steam client tell Valve what OS its using at login ?

Just guessing. Would be interesting to find out!

Pete.
              Yeah, this is getting old. The polling is odd and biased. Phoronix users who use windows and linux only get polled when they run windows. Also, Steam is very fully aware of the importance of Linux for Gaming, if it wasn't clear from the fact that they are building SteamOS and Steam devices around Linux. So, this monthly weird update really doesn't add much to the conversation, anymore. It's not a real number, and it doesn't represent the importance of Linux. Why do we keep seeing it in the front page in Phoronix. Beyond me.

Comment

We are still waiting for fix: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/2286

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Yeah, this is getting old. The polling is odd and biased. Phoronix users who use windows and linux only get polled when they run windows. Also, Steam is very fully aware of the importance of Linux for Gaming, if it wasn't clear from the fact that they are building SteamOS and Steam devices around Linux. So, this monthly weird update really doesn't add much to the conversation, anymore. It's not a real number, and it doesn't represent the importance of Linux. Why do we keep seeing it in the front page in Phoronix. Beyond me.
                  So what you are saying is that for people who launch Steam through more than one OS in a given month, which of those OS's they'll get polled under is random? Well, doesn't that mean that primarily Windows Steam users who occassionally launch Steam in Linux out of curiousity might get counted as Linux users by accident? Sounds to me like the polling method is fair in that regard. If there's not enough samples being taken, that's a different issue. However, the month to month consistency of the results increases confidence in the survey's accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                    I run windows and linux and I got polled on Linux this time. Its not baised, you get polled on whatever OS your on at the time you get selected to poll. I spend >90% of my time on linux, so it makes sense that it was very likely that I was on linux at the time of polling. Statistics.

Why do people call things biased if they don't agree with them? Its like dealing with the climate change deniers.

Comment

Working...
                    X