No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Drops Linux Driver Feature Not Found On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to start using AMD cards once x265 has opencl support for it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
      Well, as stated in the driver documentation you can, with basemosaic, use all of the monitors, not just 4, not just 3...
      You are still "free" to use that driver until it will be supported by Xorg, but you know, the next abi change may break everything and nvidia cannot be sued for an abi change in the xorg package.
      If that is true - one can complain to the nVIDIA support / or company that he bought the card from - if it doesn't get resolved (replaced for a model that support the feature as advertised or stated in user manual) there are elements for a lawsuit (I'm no lawyer, and could be regulated differently all over the world in different countries, but I think that this is in most cases covered by some consumer right/privilege act or law or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by combuster View Post
        I'm no lawyer, and could be regulated differently all over the world in different countries, but I think that this is in most cases covered by some consumer right/privilege act or law or whatever.
        Tell that to PS3 owners.

Comment

Yep, money talks

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            So they going to cut off Optimus from Windows driver for feature parity sake?
            Exactly. If we're going to accept that nVidia can cut features from Linux to meet "feature parity" then we should demand they do the same for Windows. It's not fair to support features on one platform and not another in a driver because that is a bias.

I've got two GTX 470s with custom made copper waterblocks and another with the stock fan. All 3 I bought on release day. Total that's over $1500 in graphics cards alone. Since then, I've moved my main gaming PC from Windows to Linux and I've only bought AMD graphics cards. Doesn't seem to be any reason to stick with nVidia anymore.

Even if people start voting with their wallet, It will take nVidia about 3 months (one financial quarter) before they start realizing something isn't right.
            Last edited by Sidicas; 02 October 2013, 08:53 AM.

Comment

This, boys and girls, is exactly why you do not support closed drivers.

Comment

@birdie

Your issue sounds very similar to that of glamor on Southern Islands and newer. They also tear without compositing. However, there it's completely a software issue, nothing in hw prevents tear-free 2d; they've also said they don't care about this use, as we're quite the minority nowadays.

This points to it being a SW issue on Nvidia's side too, and them just not caring. As to what am I doing about it? I'm not buying any SI or newer cards, nor recommending them, as buying one only to hack on its drivers would be rather masochistic.

@all

Just pointing out you can no longer use SuperTuxKart as an example of a toaster game It got a graphics revamp in gsoc.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  This, boys and girls, is exactly why you do not support closed drivers.
                  It's a real dilema. On the one hand, Nvidia supports Linux at a tier-1 level, equal to OSX and Windows. This is a whole lot more than most hardware or software vendors do. Most tell the Linux users to take a hike, "unsupported platform", at least for the consumer (i.e. not enterprise/server) oriented products. NVidia gives us a production quality product, with regular updates and new releases, with feature parity across platforms.

On the other hand, you've got the trap of proprietary closed-source drivers, where you are at the vendor's mercy for features, compatibility, and future upgrades. Nvidia could decide tomorrow to cease all Linux support if they wanted to. Don't like something about their driver? Tough. Doesn't work with your custom kernel or distro? Tough.

I guess it comes down to the patents involved, and the legal requirement to protect that IP. Although I sure wish they could devise a way to release the programming specs so that a good performing open source driver can be developed. IMO the open source drivers for intel and AMD graphics are way ahead of the open source "nouveau" driver. I don't know enough about it to understand why. Is it because intel and AMD are more forthcoming with the needed hardware programming specs?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    I guess it comes down to the patents involved, and the legal requirement to protect that IP. Although I sure wish they could devise a way to release the programming specs so that a good performing open source driver can be developed. IMO the open source drivers for intel and AMD graphics are way ahead of the open source "nouveau" driver. I don't know enough about it to understand why. Is it because intel and AMD are more forthcoming with the needed hardware programming specs?
                    Both AMD and Intel provide hw documentation and have paid staff working on open source drivers.

Comment

The nerdrage going on over this is pretty hilarious. By all means, continue.

Comment

Working...
                      X