Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: GNOME "Flashback" Released, GNOME Panel 3.8

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    If you want to get spmething done, don't wait for xfce.
    You don't get anything done unless you get constant updates to your DE? Do you spend your time updating and admiring your software or do you actually do anything useful with it? Support for GTK+ 3 will come long before distros drop GTK+ 2, and that's pretty much all that matters.

    Xfce has always had a comparably tiny development team, but that hasn't stopped it from being a very useful and usable DE for people who do get things done instead of spending their time trolling forums.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    I like xfce and used it for a while. I find it usable despite it is actively developed anymore. You really need to read more carefully. Xfce is just not a very good candidate if you want fast moving development involving GTK3/Wayland. That was my comment, not anything about xfce being useful or not.
    Xfce is being actively developed even though it fails to entertain you with frequent releases. The panel's in pretty good shape, so the effort naturally goes mostly into other modules. Xfdesktop 4.11 (dev release) was announced just yesterday. But this thread's not about Xfce, sorry about going OT.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuubi View Post
    Xfce is being actively developed even though it fails to entertain you with frequent releases. The panel's in pretty good shape, so the effort naturally goes mostly into other modules. Xfdesktop 4.11 (dev release) was announced just yesterday. But this thread's not about Xfce, sorry about going OT.
    Don't bother with this one. His self esteem is so low that he constantly tries to heighten it with "I use the superior DE, therefore I am and therefore is is my duty to spew lies about all other DEs!" garbage.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    So xfce is dying because the panel is matured enough to not need permanent fixes?
    Wake up, Honton, xfce consists of more than just a panel, and other parts really get frequent commits.
    Furthermore your definition of "active" is not shared by the gnome devs:
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=704979
    (I could say #121113 is a sign for GTK+ dying, but I won't...)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    And that is stupid, too. What benefit will XFCE-users have, if gnome-panel is the one that every dev should develop for?
    xfce-panel is for xfce. it works, all is fine. There are many applets that get quite some commits. So what's the issue here?
    gnome-panel is for gnome.

    And you claimed in your first comment that XFCE is not actively maintained anymore. Now you are talking of xfce-panel, because you had to realise that xfce GET'S commits quite frequently in most components.
    I also would like to know how you define "dying", because you always claim "kde is dying", but it has way more devs than xfce. Also way more commits. It is actively developed. Now you claim XFCE is not actively developed but not dying. Weird logic...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    This tread, comment #5:
    XFCE is not actively developed anymore.
    How is this not a general statement on XFCEs development?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Learn reading.
    I never said it's unmaintained, that's your interpretation.
    And behind the whole sentence "XFCE is dying" I placed a quotation mark, as your proclaimed inactivity should IMHO be a sign of dying, which I wanted to put into question. If it is not I want to hear your definition of dying, as I already asked once. KDE is dying but developed more actively than XFCE, which is not dying...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Not being familiar with either project, I apologize in advance if I come off as ignorant, but doesn't GNOME Flashback have a lot of overlap with Consort? My understanding of Consort was that it was the original project attempting to maintain and progress GNOME Fallback mode after the later was abandoned. Do we really have two projects aiming to do the same thing, or are there sufficient differences between them to make each one worthwhile?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Consort was a fork, not an attempt to maintain. Consort was disruptive cry for attention, teen age style. The echo sounded for a week until it flat lined.
    Are you able to answer my question directly, and if so, will you please do so?

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    Not being familiar with either project, I apologize in advance if I come off as ignorant, but doesn't GNOME Flashback have a lot of overlap with Consort? My understanding of Consort was that it was the original project attempting to maintain and progress GNOME Fallback mode after the later was abandoned. Do we really have two projects aiming to do the same thing, or are there sufficient differences between them to make each one worthwhile?
    Reusing GNOME infrastructure is a major advantage. It makes it easier for contributors associated with GNOME (people interested in maintaining the panel because they have specific requirements, translators etc) to get involved even via drive by contributions which can add up and if you just want to maintain a older components, getting commit access is pretty easy typically and you don't have the headache of maintaining your own infrastructure as prior attempts including Consort did. It also makes it easier for distributions to just continuing updating instead of going through a re-review, importing a set of new packages etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •