Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME "Flashback" Released, GNOME Panel 3.8

Phoronix: GNOME "Flashback" Released, GNOME Panel 3.8

This week prior to the GNOME 3.10 release also marked the release of GNOME-Panel 3.8 and GNOME-Flashback-Session 3.8. The "GNOME Flashback" project is about revitalizing the GNOME 3 "fallback" session experience found in earlier 3.x releases for cases where no 3D hardware acceleration was available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome!
    I am very glad that there is this GNOME Flashback project!

However, there are some issues under Ubuntu 13.04.
    When running with Metacity it works.
    But when running it with Compiz there is an issue, it doesn't work, instead if starts Unity.

[Impact] gnome-session-flashback (Flashback (No Effects)) which runs with Metacity works fine. gnome-session-flashback (Flashback) which runs with Compiz starts Unity instead. It works very well with Metacity, but if you use Compiz, then you get a conflict with Unity. That is; you get both Unity and Gnome Panel running at the same time. [Test Case] (1) make sure both the gnome-session-flashback and the ubuntu-session packages are     installed (2) at the lightdm prompt, select the guest s...
    Last edited by uid313; 28 September 2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      When running with Metacity it works.
      But when running it with Compiz there is an issue, it doesn't work, instead if starts Unity.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1232299
      That doesn't sound as a bug in gnome-panel, but rather in compiz, IMO.

Comment

So, I know this is going to sound a little ignorant to the developers, since they may not be doing this for practical reasons so much as this being what they're used to, but why not put the work into Xfce instead? Surely improving Xfce's applets would be more practical and easy to maintain in the future. Not to mention that GNOME integration isn't really a good reason, either, seeing how much the functionality has diverged and morphed into something else.

If there is a plausible reason, I applaud the effort. But if this is anything more than a weekend project, I'd like to know those reasons. I think the Xfce developers are doing an amazing job of building that sort of desktop, one that's focused on being pragmatic, flexible, and supporting traditional workflows. Far be it from me to tell people what to work on, but I would like to know their end goal.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          This is awesome!
          I am very glad that there is this GNOME Flashback project!
          Considering that new Gnome applications no longer support minimizing into a panel, this project is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            What makes you say Xfce isn't being developed any more?

So what is the difference between gnome classic and gnome flashback?
            Old gnome-session-fallback, also called gnome classic, was just a port of gnome-panel from the one in GNOME 2.32 from GTK 2 to GTK 3. Also ported gnome-panel from gconf to dconf (gsettings).

gnome-session-flashback now builds upon more of the technology from gnome-shell. Such as its indicators, and menus, and stuff. It also has a button that takes you to the dash or whatever its called.

Then there is also a gnome classic session that is GNOME 3 with gnome-shell, but with some extensions that modify its behavior to more reminiscent of the old GNOME 2 behavior. But the look-and-feel is more of GNOME 3 and gnome-panel anyways since thats what it is built upon and extends.

Comment

Ohh Look at that GNOME and MATE collaborating This is how Open Source Is Done!!!!! Also the MATE team said they was going to Drop all the bull shit forks as it did no good and just use Gnome Apps!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                XFCE is not actively developed anymore.
                It is actively developed.

XFCE does not have the Wayland competence Gnome does.
                True, it doesn't. They haven't even decided to go Wayland, yet.

Developing an old fart panel is much easier within Gnome. Gnome-panel is tested and maintained in down stream products for the next many years. It is an easy chocie
                Developing an old fart panel is exactly as hard for GNOME as it is for XFCE, since they use the same GTK+3 libraries and both have a limited user base to test them (remember most GNOME users use GNOME-Shell).

Comment

Can these 2D/minimal DEs still be accelerated by GPUs if you have the hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    Ohh Look at that GNOME and MATE collaborating This is how Open Source Is Done!!!!! Also the MATE team said they was going to Drop all the bull shit forks as it did no good and just use Gnome Apps!!!
                    Flashback is not the same team as MATE. I asked the guy who released gnome-panel 3.8.0, they just want it to work for Debian. They do want to coorperate with MATE. Aside from this, is true that both this flashback and MATE (partly) use GNOME infrastructure, they're totally welcome to do so. I personally wish that GNOME is the most populair and development focus within GNOME is purely on GNOME, but sharing GNOME infrastructure with interested parties is easy. No issues with forks. Bit of the difference between being totally ok with them vs spending time on them. As long as it doesn't cost much time, then seems better to work together.

Comment

Working...
                    X