Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Open-Source ARM GPU Drivers

Phoronix: The State Of Open-Source ARM GPU Drivers

Rob Clark of the fast-growing Freedreno project provided a status update earlier this week at the X.Org Developers' Conference concerning his open-source ARM Qualcomm graphics driver, the Lima driver for ARM' Mali, GRATE for NVIDIA's Tegra, and Etnaviv for Vivante graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Related info:
    OpenGL Hall of Fame/Shame: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Related info:
      OpenGL Hall of Fame/Shame: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/
      Fascinating read

I hope Michael pushes an article about this, to make it more visible.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        Fascinating read

I hope Michael pushes an article about this, to make it more visible.
        I actually poked news at phoronix.com about it when we published it but it seems Michael is not interested :/

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
          I actually poked news at phoronix.com about it when we published it but it seems Michael is not interested :/
          Maybe he missed it. He probably gets more than just a handful of mails per day.

Anyway, this should probably shuts most “Linux needs proprietary drivers”-type people up because it gives hard facts that the Mesa drivers are among the best out there and that NVidia's driver is the only proprietary driver that's better than Mesa (this also means that Nouveau drivers are rather OK, just not “Excellent”).
          Maybe it'll also convince Android ROM makers to utilize an Android–Mesa combination like Intel already do for their Android variant.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Maybe he missed it. He probably gets more than just a handful of mails per day.

Anyway, this should probably shuts most ?Linux needs proprietary drivers?-type people up because it gives hard facts that the Mesa drivers are among the best out there and that NVidia's driver is the only proprietary driver that's better than Mesa (this also means that Nouveau drivers are rather OK, just not ?Excellent?).
            Maybe it'll also convince Android ROM makers to utilize an Android?Mesa combination like Intel already do for their Android variant.
            With the recent move by NVidia to publish (sanitized) GPU programming documentation there's a good chance even Nouveau would become as solid as the proprietary driver. Hopefully we'll see more GPUs across all platforms makers having decent FOSS drivers in due time. Exciting times in the FOSS world!

Comment

What I am curious about is why there is so little interest from devs/coders/etc in the PowerVR GPUs compared to all the other GPUs out there (AMD/ATI, NVIDIA, Arm MALI, Qualcomm Adreno etc)
              I would fiddle with the PowerVR GPU (and drivers) in my Nokia N900 if I had the skills (but I dont know the first thing about GPUs or kernel development)

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
                What I am curious about is why there is so little interest from devs/coders/etc in the PowerVR GPUs compared to all the other GPUs out there (AMD/ATI, NVIDIA, Arm MALI, Qualcomm Adreno etc)
                I would fiddle with the PowerVR GPU (and drivers) in my Nokia N900 if I had the skills (but I dont know the first thing about GPUs or kernel development)
                I suppose the intersection of people who know much about GPU's plus have interest in mobile GPUs, but who have *not* been exposed to IMGtech IP (either via nokia or elsewhere) is pretty small.

Comment

.. and the rest just hate PowerVR for all they've done

Comment

Working...
                  X