Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The State Of Open-Source ARM GPU Drivers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,621

    Default The State Of Open-Source ARM GPU Drivers

    Phoronix: The State Of Open-Source ARM GPU Drivers

    Rob Clark of the fast-growing Freedreno project provided a status update earlier this week at the X.Org Developers' Conference concerning his open-source ARM Qualcomm graphics driver, the Lima driver for ARM' Mali, GRATE for NVIDIA's Tegra, and Etnaviv for Vivante graphics hardware...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3MTM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Related info:
    OpenGL Hall of Fame/Shame: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Related info:
    OpenGL Hall of Fame/Shame: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/
    Fascinating read

    I hope Michael pushes an article about this, to make it more visible.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    Fascinating read

    I hope Michael pushes an article about this, to make it more visible.
    I actually poked news at phoronix.com about it when we published it but it seems Michael is not interested :/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBrain View Post
    I actually poked news at phoronix.com about it when we published it but it seems Michael is not interested :/
    Maybe he missed it. He probably gets more than just a handful of mails per day.

    Anyway, this should probably shuts most “Linux needs proprietary drivers”-type people up because it gives hard facts that the Mesa drivers are among the best out there and that NVidia's driver is the only proprietary driver that's better than Mesa (this also means that Nouveau drivers are rather OK, just not “Excellent”).
    Maybe it'll also convince Android ROM makers to utilize an Android–Mesa combination like Intel already do for their Android variant.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Maybe he missed it. He probably gets more than just a handful of mails per day.

    Anyway, this should probably shuts most “Linux needs proprietary drivers”-type people up because it gives hard facts that the Mesa drivers are among the best out there and that NVidia's driver is the only proprietary driver that's better than Mesa (this also means that Nouveau drivers are rather OK, just not “Excellent”).
    Maybe it'll also convince Android ROM makers to utilize an Android–Mesa combination like Intel already do for their Android variant.
    With the recent move by NVidia to publish (sanitized) GPU programming documentation there's a good chance even Nouveau would become as solid as the proprietary driver. Hopefully we'll see more GPUs across all platforms makers having decent FOSS drivers in due time. Exciting times in the FOSS world!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    104

    Default

    What I am curious about is why there is so little interest from devs/coders/etc in the PowerVR GPUs compared to all the other GPUs out there (AMD/ATI, NVIDIA, Arm MALI, Qualcomm Adreno etc)
    I would fiddle with the PowerVR GPU (and drivers) in my Nokia N900 if I had the skills (but I dont know the first thing about GPUs or kernel development)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
    What I am curious about is why there is so little interest from devs/coders/etc in the PowerVR GPUs compared to all the other GPUs out there (AMD/ATI, NVIDIA, Arm MALI, Qualcomm Adreno etc)
    I would fiddle with the PowerVR GPU (and drivers) in my Nokia N900 if I had the skills (but I dont know the first thing about GPUs or kernel development)
    I suppose the intersection of people who know much about GPU's plus have interest in mobile GPUs, but who have *not* been exposed to IMGtech IP (either via nokia or elsewhere) is pretty small.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    .. and the rest just hate PowerVR for all they've done

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •