Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.3 Readies D3D Command Stream Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.3 Readies D3D Command Stream Improvements

Wine 1.7.3 is now out as the latest bi-weekly development release of Wine. This time around it does some preparation work on the Direct3D command stream support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome. Thanks to people behind wine!

Comment

Maybe Valve will put Wine into the Steam OS for older games ?? they did have some good bug fixes this time

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        Maybe Valve will put Wine into the Steam OS for older games ?? they did have some good bug fixes this time
        Nope. They absolutely want game vendors to put some real effort into making the best possible linux ports of their games, instead of just relying on this wrapper to get a "decent" or "good enough" result. There must be no other way of getting into Valve's console game marketplace than that.

(Consider the following: If your game can be played on a steam machine only by streaming it from a (Windows) PC, your customers will start to demand that you get your game ported to SteamOS. On the other hand, if your game would already run on SteamOS through wine without you putting any extra effort in properly porting your game, Valve would only be taking a risk of their customers getting a bad experience of their gaming console.)

And how do you even define an "old" game? Half-life 2 from 2004, and even Half-life 1 from 1998 got ported to linux this year.

If people want to hack their steam consoles into running old (or new) Windows games through wine, that's fine, but better not advertise any official support for it.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          your customers will start to demand that you get your game ported to SteamOS.
          Exactly what I love. Gabe applying Microsoft tactics to use Customer demand to force developers to port their Games to Linux. I love it. =p

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
            Exactly what I love. Gabe applying Microsoft tactics to use Customer demand to force developers to port their Games to Linux. I love it. =p
            Remember he use to work for them Fuck You Microsoft!

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Half-life 2 from 2004, and even Half-life 1 from 1998 got ported to linux this year.
              And look how terribly bad the Source engine performs on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                And look how terribly bad the Source engine performs on Linux.
                Isn't valve getting amazing results under Linux with Source? o.O I know L4D2 was running faster than the Windows version was
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Isn't valve getting amazing results under Linux with Source? o.O I know L4D2 was running faster than the Windows version was
                  It's not even a full Linux port. For example on TF2, the -dxlevel XX launch option still manipulates how the game displays things. It's still using partial DirectX code that gets translated into OpenGL which causes an overhead which results in poor performance.

Just look at Steam for Linux community forum, dozens on dozens of threads concerning poor performance of source. People with extremely high end computers with CPUs like i7's and GPUs in the high end series are getting like 40 FPS (and incredibly choppy unresponsive gameplay) on TF2 (300+ on Windows) with vsync turned off both ingame and control panel.
                  Last edited by synaptix; 28 September 2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

0_o i only have a E5200 CPU and a GTX460 GPU and TF2 flies (FPS often well over 100, but i have fps_max set to 101 to keep things a bit more consistent)

Comment

Working...
                    X