Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Announces Its Open Steam GamePad / Controller

Phoronix: Valve Announces Its Open Steam GamePad / Controller

Valve just revealed its third announcement of the week! After announcing the Linux-based SteamOS, then the SteamOS-powered Steam Machines game console, the Bellevue-based company just unveiled their own controller / gamepad!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe finally a gamepad that'll work flawlessly in Linux.

Comment

johnc wont be happy lol.

Anyway if this could approach mouse precision for FPS it could be a game-changer (so to speak)

Comment

looks awful. Looks like they tried to combine touch screen or track-pad with a controller and i bet its awful at both.

Comment

I was worried it was going to be some streaming nonsense. But this I like. This is a real advance. Go Valve.

Comment

is it just me or did they forget a jump button/binding in that Portal example?

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
              johnc wont be happy lol.

Anyway if this could approach mouse precision for FPS it could be a game-changer (so to speak)
              yeah wtf

I guess if it can make an FPS possible from the couch it's worthwhile. I was thinking more a trackball than a touchpad based on that patent app but I guess a touchpad works too. Hopefully we'll have some reviews soon once the beta units start shipping.

And Valve you suck for not announcing something interesting this week. But I still love you.

Comment

All announcements were under banner of "Livingroom". People who expected Game announcements were being unrealistic.

Also Valve had other input hardware in development before but cancelled them because they weren't good enough. They don't release something if it isn't good.

I like my Xbox 360 Controller (w/ cable) and it works great with Linux but I really want to try the Steam Controller!

Also very hyped about the SteamBox specifications that will come next week.

Comment

Seems to be great for shooters, and full compatible with linux. I want it

Comment

I had a lot of misgivings with this controller on first sight until I realized it has some paddle buttons on the backside to offset the lack of a 4 button cluster on the right hand side. Having only 2 keys over there that are kinda spaced a bit apart was an instant turn off for me because I play a few control intensive games that rely on combos and such. But with those buttons on the back it makes the lack of the cluster a lot more tenable.

I will still have to see it in action and find out how it would be mapped for some more games before I can really get behind it, but I am feeling a lot more optimistic after looking it over more closely than my first impression would allow.

[Edit: I do hope they add a corded options, I never liked wireless controllers. Having to keep them charged and the risk of them dying in the middle of a session far outweighs any benefits offered by being cordless.]
                    Last edited by IanS; 27 September 2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X