Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Continues Advancing, Promoting Rust Language

Phoronix: Mozilla Continues Advancing, Promoting Rust Language

The Mozilla developers driving the Rust Programming Language have released version 0.8 of their language and compiler. Rust 0.8 has more than 2,200 changes with many bug-fixes and a few language-related changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To me, Rust seems like a Scala for C

Comment

As a programmer, I'm sick of having to deal with so many programming languages. I remember the times of CP/M and its Basic interpreter with nostalgia...

A good slogan would be: Rust, the "new kid on the block".

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        As a programmer, I'm sick of having to deal with so many programming languages. I remember the times of CP/M and its Basic interpreter with nostalgia...

A good slogan would be: Rust, the "new kid on the block".
        I agree, there are way too many languages out there that are general purpose. I have no major issues with languages designed for a specific purpose (such as database languages or robot languages and so on) but there are dozens of languages out there that could just simply "go away". Off the top of my head, ruby, D, and delphi are a few that don't need to exist. Obviously if we were to "vote a language off the island", there's always going to be somebody upset about it. But IMO it's all about what languages accomplish their goals the best.

Comment

Just had a quick look into their docs, reads almost as someone tried to stuff as many keywords into it as possible. Reading somewhat more complex rust code must be serious fun... Not something I would expect from a modern, practical language.

Comment

Multiprocess by default having good scalability on many (2-8-16-32-...) cores.
            Will be nice to have a browser/OS compiled in Rust.

Comment

Linux kernel

Imagine if the Linux kernel were ported to Rust...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I agree, there are way too many languages out there that are general purpose. I have no major issues with languages designed for a specific purpose (such as database languages or robot languages and so on) but there are dozens of languages out there that could just simply "go away". Off the top of my head, ruby, D, and delphi are a few that don't need to exist. Obviously if we were to "vote a language off the island", there's always going to be somebody upset about it. But IMO it's all about what languages accomplish their goals the best.
                I'd say Python should go before Ruby, I really don't like languages that are dependant on white space.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Just had a quick look into their docs, reads almost as someone tried to stuff as many keywords into it as possible. Reading somewhat more complex rust code must be serious fun... Not something I would expect from a modern, practical language.
                  Our keywords: as, break, do, else, enum, extern, true, false, fn, for, if, impl, let, loop, match, mod, mut, once, priv, pub, ref, return, static, self, super, return, trait, type, unsafe, use, while, be, yield, typeof

34, compared to python's 31, C's 33, or C++'s 87. I don't really see what the problem is?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    To me, Rust seems like a Scala for C
                    That's pretty much it. This looks exactly like the choice that C developers need.

Comment

Working...
                    X