AMD's Mantle Graphics API For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Mantle Graphics API For Linux?

Phoronix: AMD's Mantle Graphics API For Linux?

This week at AMD's Hawaii event where they announced their new high-end graphics processors, they also announced Mantle. AMD's Mantle is a new graphics API that looks to take on OpenGL and Microsoft's Direct3D as a new high-performance graphics rendering API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waiting for our resident API god elanthis to write a several-page post on Mantle.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Waiting for our resident API god elanthis to write a several-page post on Mantle.
      Funny, I was thinking roughly the same:
      Wondering why he has not showed up so far.

Really, I'd be interested in what he thinks about it.

Comment

... but there's no mention of GLSL compatibility for Linux fans
        What??? So GLSL is for Linux fans only now?

Comment

Well said. We will have to wait till December to see how much improvements are with Mantle in BF4. If its a lot, then AMD can expect to sell more cards to BF4 players. If its not a huge performance increase, it will die in Windows land before they even consider using it in Linux.

Comment

The world needs a good OpenGL competitor that provides vendor neutral, OS neutral, device neutral access to 3D graphics hardware.

This doesn't sound like it's it:

- Anandtech says this is derived from Microsoft's Xbox One APIs. That doesn't speak well for neutrality, ideal licensing, and rallying the non-MS world.
            - No mention of cooperation or collaboration with any of the other important players such as Apple, Google, Sony, even Mozilla, and the Linux guys. No mention of Linux support.

I don't see an official website. The official slides headline "Uniting both worlds". If both worlds mean Microsoft Xbox consoles and Microsoft Windows PCs/tablets, this isn't what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
              Well said. We will have to wait till December to see how much improvements are with Mantle in BF4. If its a lot, then AMD can expect to sell more cards to BF4 players. If its not a huge performance increase, it will die in Windows land before they even consider using it in Linux.
              AMD has both the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 graphics card, so if they offer Mantle on both of thows platforms as well then they have a winner in it self as games that wants to be on a console has to support it any way.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

I support this.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  AMD has both the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 graphics card, so if they offer Mantle on both of thows platforms as well then they have a winner in it self as games that wants to be on a console has to support it any way.
                  Nvidia currently has 52,38% share against 33,08% from AMD and 14,18% from intel (steam survey). Games developers can't simply ignore that. We also need to keep in mind if whether or not Nvidia and Intel will support Mantle.

At this point all I can say is wait and see. But I believe that yes, AMD has an angle on this new tech, I just hope it doesn't screw thing up for us in the end.

Comment

Nvidia and Intel couldn't support this if they wanted to, it's tied to AMD hardware. This is basically Glide 2013 Edition. I expect it to be just as long lived.

Comment

Working...
                    X