Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Not everyone edits photos.
    My post was only about photos and vector graphics.... If you paint then use Krita.... (Or MyPaint if you are FunkySTAR)

Not everyone wants to use multiple programs or learn how to use multiple programs in their workflow.
    You will have to do that even on Win/OS X. Well you will have to if you don?t want your work to sucks...

Comment

As far as I know, GIMP is limited to 8 bpp color depth.
      High bit depth support has already been implemented in the 2.9.x dev branch. The dev branch is not the most stable ever but it does work, you just have to compile it yourself.

Krita also has had high bit depth support (up to 32bit float) as well as support for alternate colourspaces (CMYK, YCbCr, Lab, etc.) for several versions now. There's lots of features in Krita that are only being worked on in GIMP, such as dynamic effect layers, group masks, clone layers, vector layers etc. It's however not really designed for image manipulation like GIMP, it's more geared towards content production, drawing/painting and such.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Like I said, I understand the desire for wanting open source kernel level stuff, or even just low-level stuff in general. But all of those problems you mentioned are what happens when you pick a piece of software from an unmotivated developer. If they're paid, you don't usually encounter those problems. Just because something is open source it doesn't mean it is automatically free of those issues you mentioned, because that means somebody has to fix it. Paid or not, assuming the developers care enough, closed source software would be MORE secure because it's flaws and/or secrets aren't revealed to anyone, and there's a DEDICATED team to fix reported issues. And on the note of motivated/dedicated developers, many open source devs are NOT motivated or dedicated because their work likely won't get them any compensation, so your point is basically just theory but not actually true.

I'm all for open source software but people here can't pretend that closed source is generally bad. Open source has just as many flaws as closed source - much like wikipedia vs encyclopedia britannica.
        I like how you completely ignore active malice. Especially if coupled with a motivated closed source developer

Comment

As far as I know, GIMP is limited to 8 bpp color depth.
          Correct me, if wrong, but thats 8bpp per channel - 24/32bit colorspace. Its same, what most graphics (non-RAW) formats support and most scanners are capable of. I agree, that's not *professional* grade, but its definitely not a show stopper or "no-go".

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            Correct me, if wrong, but thats 8bpp per channel - 24/32bit colorspace. Its same, what most graphics (non-RAW) formats support and most scanners are capable of. I agree, that's not *professional* grade, but its definitely not a show stopper or "no-go".
            Uhm, but Photoshop supports 16-bit bpp.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
              A LOT of people cite the 8-bit problem but very FEW understand it.
              Only color transformations will suffer from low-precision rounding aberrations. Like excessive use of levels/curves and overlays.
              I do use GIMP for professional printing, you just need to know how you can use it now, and what you can't do on 8-bit integer precision. GIMP doesn't do all (Adobe also doesn't), but associated with other free software available on Linux today, they do offer a professional workflow for graphics designers.

Comment

Working...
              X