Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxthon Web Browser Being Ported To Linux

Phoronix: Maxthon Web Browser Being Ported To Linux

The Maxthon freeware web-browser that up to now has been available for Windows and OS X on the desktop is in the process of being ported to the Linux desktop. Maxthon has received high rankings in the past on Windows, but how well will this Trident/WebKit-based browser fair on Linux?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Freeware web browser. Thank, but I don't need such crap.

Comment

Yet another browser

Diversity is good, Maxthon has been praised (and has been leading html5 compatibility tests for quite some time - html5test.com), but if I want my data sync'ed in the proprietary cloud I already have Google Chrome.

Aside from this I am plenty happy with Firefox + Chromium + one lightweight browser (Rekonq, Midori).

As for mobile browsers I admit Firefox was slow to get up to speed, but the main point is I am more confident about where my data is.

Comment

Fuck off

Maxthon can take their proprietary browser and fuck off!

Don't want no stinky proprietary software on Linux.
        Just fuck off!

Source or gtfo!

Comment

Rather interested to see how they intend to get IE's Trident engine working on Linux.

Looking forward to testing out the browser when it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Rather interested to see how they intend to get IE's Trident engine working on Linux.

Looking forward to testing out the browser when it's ready.
            Trident is only in Windows version

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Maxthon can take their proprietary browser and fuck off!

Don't want no stinky proprietary software on Linux.
              Just fuck off!

Source or gtfo!
              *sigh* As usual, WHY DO YOU CARE? I know that you personally will not take advantage of it being open source. I'm sure you won't edit a single line of code, I'm sure you won't compile it for another architecture, I'm sure you have no motive to redistribute the software yourself, and I'm sure you have no legal reasons to need it open source. Of every single time you bitched about closed source software coming to linux, free or not, you have yet to provide even 1 good reason why something MUST be open source if it's on linux. Linux itself is free and open source but even Linus Torvalds himself said you are free to SELL it in a commercialized manner. It's not like this maxthon browser is capitalizing off of linux. If it did, that would be much more of a "fuck off" move than simply closing the source to something they hold the rights to.

Comment

I have read that Maxthon's user base is primarily in China. The porting of Maxthon to Linux may be a sign that Linux's popularity in China is growing.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  *sigh* As usual, WHY DO YOU CARE? I know that you personally will not take advantage of it being open source. I'm sure you won't edit a single line of code, I'm sure you won't compile it for another architecture, I'm sure you have no motive to redistribute the software yourself, and I'm sure you have no legal reasons to need it open source. Of every single time you bitched about closed source software coming to linux, free or not, you have yet to provide even 1 good reason why something MUST be open source if it's on linux. Linux itself is free and open source but even Linus Torvalds himself said you are free to SELL it in a commercialized manner. It's not like this maxthon browser is capitalizing off of linux. If it did, that would be much more of a "fuck off" move than simply closing the source to something they hold the rights to.
                  Why do you care to admonish? If I can't compile a web browser, I'm not using it. It doesn't matter if it's allowed, and I'll speak out against it as I see fit.

I'll use a proprietary video driver (fglrx) because I have to. It's simply the best choice for me. I have a few commercial games on Linux, I'll make an exception for things like that... I don't refuse to use proprietary software if there's some clear benefit to me. Everything else on my system is compiled and optimized for my hardware and yes, I often do edit a few lines of code.

My web browsers are something I pay special attention to... probably the most significant programs I use. I sure as Hell don't have to eat someone else's dog food for that.

I agree. Source code or fuck off, Maxthon. Moreover, they can fuck off anyway as far as I am concerned. That browser was just a silly front end to Internet Explorer. What do we need that shit ported to Linux/Webkit for? (There are plenty of free webkit based browsers already)

Comment

So what? We already have proprietary browsers on Linux - Chrome, Opera... one more won't make a difference and Firefox is the best anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X