Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon FreeBSD Support Continues Advancing

Phoronix: AMD Radeon FreeBSD Support Continues Advancing

AMD Radeon KMS support landed into FreeBSD 10 last month, but the developer -- who has been working on this code in part by financing from the FreeBSD Foundation -- is continuing to make improvements to the open-source AMD graphics code ported to FreeBSD from Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From article "This initial AMD Radeon KMS driver support will be present in Fedora 10". I feel this is news sooo 2008...

Comment

I hope to see this ported to OpenBSD, NetBSD, Dragonfly BSD and Solaris too.

Also hope for some contributions back upstreams that improve the Radeon driver for Linux and for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I hope to see this ported to OpenBSD, NetBSD, Dragonfly BSD and Solaris too.

Also hope for some contributions back upstreams that improve the Radeon driver for Linux and for everyone.
        Radeon KMS is now in OpenBSD (though it hasn't made it into the upcoming release).

As for upstream contributions, I think they'd be delighted to make them (and compatibility patches have been being sent upstream) but manpower is a huge problem: in each case (OpenBSD and FreeBSD) the port was done almost entirely by one person, who has their work cut out just keeping up with the Linux changes, let alone making improvements.

Comment

Working...
        X