Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X.Org Server's GLX Is Being Rewritten

Phoronix: The X.Org Server's GLX Is Being Rewritten

While most developers are focused around new innovations for Wayland (or Mir), there's still life ahead for the X.Org Server in maintaining legacy support and other cases where the xorg-server will not die for years to come. In improving the X.Org Server, Adam Jackson at Red Hat has been working on rewriting the GLX portion of the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great

Great, keep reducing the X.org codebase, make it slimmer, leaner and cleaner!

Refactor code and remove duplicate and redundant code.
    Get rid of legacy stuff.

libgl needs to be fixed to not depend on glx though.

Comment

Why does that Mir thing have to be mentioned in every article? This has nothing to do with Mir!

Comment

I find something like this to be a good opportunity to move to X12, especially if this has a probability of breaking current xorg drivers. On the other hand, there are other things done in the past few years that could have qualified for switching to X12, such as xinput2. I feel like if X12 does ever get released, it will be relatively arbitrary, much like the linux kernel hitting 3.0. Much like X11, the linux kernel had several opportunities to ditch the 2.6 series. IMO, the switch to udev would've been a good time to do so (and even then, it should have been named 2.8).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I find something like this to be a good opportunity to move to X12, especially if this has a probability of breaking current xorg drivers. On the other hand, there are other things done in the past few years that could have qualified for switching to X12, such as xinput2. I feel like if X12 does ever get released, it will be relatively arbitrary, much like the linux kernel hitting 3.0. Much like X11, the linux kernel had several opportunities to ditch the 2.6 series. IMO, the switch to udev would've been a good time to do so (and even then, it should have been named 2.8).
          Effectively X12 is Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
            Effectively X12 is Wayland.
            Wayland is effectively X11's replacement, but considering how architecturally different wayland is, I would not classify it as a "successor".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Great, keep reducing the X.org codebase, make it slimmer, leaner and cleaner!

Refactor code and remove duplicate and redundant code.
              Get rid of legacy stuff.
              +1

Especially when working towards making Xorg legacy to the post X11 era.

Comment

I think you're conflating X11 the protocol with Xorg the implementation. Nothing that's being done here represents a change to the X11 protocol... it's just changing the implementation and some of the protocol extensions....

Comment

I find something like this to be a good opportunity to move to X12, especially if this has a probability of breaking current xorg drivers.
                  If we bumped the X version every time we changed Xorg driver ABI, we'd be on X25 by now.

I feel like if X12 does ever get released, it will be relatively arbitrary, much like the linux kernel hitting 3.0.
                  It would be because we changed the protocol between the X server and client applications in an incompatible way and no longer supported the old applications without some sort of compatibility shim. So far, we've gotten away with just adding extensions to add/replace functionality and not removing/breaking anything in the core protocol, though we've kept a wishlist of things to change if we ever do decide to make an X12.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
                    If we bumped the X version every time we changed Xorg driver ABI, we'd be on X25 by now.
                    Thank god there are still sane software people in the world. If Chrome's and FF's version inflation spread there too, we'd indeed have X25 :P

Comment

Working...
                    X