Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Way Nouveau Benchmarks On Linux 3.12, Mesa 9.3

Phoronix: 4-Way Nouveau Benchmarks On Linux 3.12, Mesa 9.3

Earlier this week on Phoronix were the results of an 11-way AMD Radeon GPU comparison using the Linux 3.12 kernel and Mesa 9.3-devel. Coming out today are the results for a four-way NVIDIA GeForce graphics card comparison using the Nouveau driver on Linux 3.12 / Mesa 9.3-devel. Sadly, this comparison is smaller than the open-source Radeon comparison since the reverse-engineered Nouveau driver was very buggy in its current configuration.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How bad is this re-clocking issue to resolve? This issue has been going on for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      How bad is this re-clocking issue to resolve? This issue has been going on for a while now.
      well it took AMD's own developers a relatively long time to fix it on their own hardware. I don't expect a bunch of volunteers who have to reverse-engineer everything to accomplish it any time soon.

Personally what I would find interesting is how the tests would compare to the proprietary drivers if the GPUs were set to their lowest clock setting. That would get us a good impression on how close the nouveau devs are in terms of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        well it took AMD's own developers a relatively long time to fix it on their own hardware. I don't expect a bunch of volunteers who have to reverse-engineer everything to accomplish it any time soon.

Personally what I would find interesting is how the tests would compare to the proprietary drivers if the GPUs were set to their lowest clock setting. That would get us a good impression on how close the nouveau devs are in terms of performance.
        Michael actually did that last year, showing that in most cases the Nouveau-driver matched the proprietary driver clock for clock.
        I believe this is one of many reasons that some of the first documentation that Nouveau-devs asked for after Ritgers announcement, was power management and clock, but the reply was that that was probably some of the 'more difficult areas' for them to address.

Edit:
        It would be interesting with a new one though
        Here's the article:
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
        Last edited by UraniumDeer; 26 September 2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
          Michael actually did that last year, showing that in most cases the Nouveau-driver matched the proprietary driver clock for clock.
          I believe this is one of many reasons that some of the first documentation that Nouveau-devs asked for after Ritgers announcement, was power management and clock, but the reply was that that was probably some of the 'more difficult areas' for them to address.

Edit:
          It would be interesting with a new one though
          Here's the article:
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_clocks&num=1
          Ah yes, I forgot about that one. But it'd be nice to see if newer hardware has gained any advantages.

Comment

Working...
          X