Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LM-Sensors Sensor-Detect Is Causing Hardware Issues

Phoronix: LM-Sensors Sensor-Detect Is Causing Hardware Issues

As a forewarning if you use LM-Sensors' sensor-detect program for detecting available hardware sensor/monitoring drivers of your system hardware, the open-source program is causing "serious trouble" for some newer hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is crazy!!! And I am not complaining on LM-Sensor but on hardware manufacturers. THe sensor should be reading info, not writting anything, how can it possibly damage hardware?? Having said that, I was one of the unlucky LG DVD-reader owners burned by a Kernel issue in Mandrake, back in the day.

Here: http://lwn.net/Articles/55537/
    Last edited by mendieta; 26 September 2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Yeah I'm always confused by stuff like this. Software that can physically damage hardware? Shouldn't that be the hardware manufacturer's fault in addition to the software devs'?

An example of this that scares me is Asus motherboards giving software access to your CPU voltages. I'm surprised nobody wrote a virus to overvolt and melt chips.

Or furmark blowing up vregs on gpu's in 2011-2012.

Or linpack causing much higher cpu temperatures than any other software ever, in addition to making sensors drop out.

Back on the original topic though, one of the things that bothered me in making the switch to Linux was not having a good open source version of coretemp or rivatuner. Rivatuner I can understand since it relies on closed source drivers to read settings and adjust speeds, but a lack of fast, individual core cpu temp readings meant I was uncomfortable overclocking in Linux. LM-Sensors never picked up my video card properly either.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        This is crazy!!! And I am not complaining on LM-Sensor but on hardware manufacturers. THe sensor should be reading info, not writting anything, how can it possibly damage hardware?? Having said that, I was one of the unlucky LG DVD-reader owners burned by a Kernel issue in Mandrake, back in the day.

Here: http://lwn.net/Articles/55537/
        It is called reverse engineering. If you don't know how the hardware works AND mess with it AND the hardware can be damaged THEN you may damage it. Take for instance the FAN control for both the CPU and the GPU, if the fan stops then your CPU/GPU burns.

Comment

I had to install lm-sensors as it was required by a GS extension. I don't know if it's related but lately my Thinkpad's brightness control stopped working in both Linux and Windows; other function keys work fine. I hope it didn't damage my laptop's hw...

Edit: Never mind, lm-sensors.org says "versions 3.3.3 and newer are not affected" (I'm using 3.3.4).
          Last edited by halo9en; 26 September 2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            It is called reverse engineering. If you don't know how the hardware works AND mess with it AND the hardware can be damaged THEN you may damage it. Take for instance the FAN control for both the CPU and the GPU, if the fan stops then your CPU/GPU burns.
            I'm familiar with the concept, thanks though But the sensor should access the speed, not dictate it, do you mean that things are so broken that there is no way you can even tell whether you are requesting info or sending a command for the hardware to do something? It seems to be the case, but that seems terrible, and I think hardware manufacturers could prevent this easily ...

Comment

Unfortunate owner here to be affected (i think).

Mageia 2 came with lm-sensors 3.3.2, and after using it for a year my notebook can no longer successfully install Windows anymore: it always fails at the reboot stage where Windows will initialize the hardware and load the drivers. Instead of successfully initializing the hardware like it has always done, it now hangs with a black screen.

Even my secondary hard disk which had Windows pre-installed into it on the notebook exhibits problems: the shutdown and restart process can never successfully complete anymore; it hangs just before the powering down stage and refuses to proceed any further.

Have not tried if the issues will show up on a new Linux installation that is not Mageia, and at this point i think I'm also too afraid to try.

Comment

Working...
              X