AMD Mantle for linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Mantle for linux?

Does anyone know if AMD Mantle will have linux support? That would be a devastating blow again to MS as Directx just lost its place.

"high-performance cross-platform"

"There's talk that Mantle is open-source, meaning Nvidia could add support to GeForce GPUs"

I hope so.

Opengl is getting better but mantle is going to be used in battlefield 4 if it gives good results it could be an open succesor to dx api.
    Last edited by Sdar; 26 September 2013, 07:30 AM.

Comment

"Cross platform" is pretty misleading, considering that it's GCN only. You can have whatever platform you want! As long as it runs a recent AMD card.

Seems pretty ominous to me, but we'll see.

Comment

The guy leading Mantle development sits beside me... I'll find out about Linux plans. May not be able to say anything until the developer conference in Nov but I can at least make sure we know what the answer will be...
        Test signature

Comment

Well what did he say?

Comment

Cross platform? Read Windows, Xbox One and maybe PS4. Open? MS and Sony get to make implementations for their consoles? or perhaps even that in principle you could have competing implementations but in practice that will never happen due to technical and/or legal reasons. For example they could SAY that Nvidia gets to implement the API but in reality that would mean having to pay royalties and jumping through other legal hoops so they never will.

Although I admit, I am biased against AMD.

Comment

Reality strikes again in La-La Land !

"Other graphics APIs such as OpenGL and AMD?s Mantle are not available on Xbox One."

Obvious to anyone with more than an infantile knowledge and experience in corporate policy ...

Nostradamus predictions :

1. Next, $ony announces the obvious : their air-tight ecosystem will not allow any 3rd party API.

2. Nobody but AMD gives a shit about Mantle, just like nobody gave one ( or ten ) for Glide. Neither Nvidia not Intel have the slightest

3. AMD will run out of cash handoevers to developers to write rendering backends for Mantle ( 8M$ to EA for FB integration ... wooo! when Nvida did it with Crytek they were whores, when AMD does it, is 'natural' )

4. Percentage of AMD GCN-based cards in the latest Steam Hardware Survey is at ~ 6% of 50.000.000+ users and won't climb to 10% before the summer, when, according to analysts, M$ and $ony expect to push some 5-8M consoles.

5. AMD blew all their budget on Never Settle bundles and bribes ( I'm sorry, lobbying ) to EA and others and, again 'naturally', there are no more resources for Linux drivers, especially for any Mantle for Linux.

Who wants to bet ?

BTW, I tried the miracle 3.12 Kernel on my A10-6800K and there are no 'vast performance improvements' in any Steam game ...

Comment

slowpoke? AMD already stated that Mantle is PC only.
                Originally posted by @AMDRadeon
                @killyourfm @francmoo Mantle is NOT in consoles. What Mantle creates for the PC (cont'd: http://bit.ly/1cPyE89 ) ^RH
                https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon/status...89549016391680

Of course that means there is nothing for Sony to announce. Also this means that it is almost clear what "cross-platform" refers to.

Originally posted by Agross View Post
                2. Nobody but AMD gives a shit about Mantle, just like nobody gave one ( or ten ) for Glide. Neither Nvidia not Intel have the slightest
                Who will care about Mantle will be announced at the AMD APU13 conference presumably.
                Originally posted by Agross View Post
                BTW, I tried the miracle 3.12 Kernel on my A10-6800K and there are no 'vast performance improvements' in any Steam game ...
                You could just have read the Phoronix article titled AMD APUs Don't Appear Affected By Linux 3.12 Change.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I saw the article about APUs and 3.12 afterwards.

Anyways, I don't want to diss Mantle from a technical point of view - from what it looks it is a very welcome addition.
                  My gripes are :
                  1. at this point technology has less to do with it and corporate policy more.
                  2. why couldn't these things be added as proprietary ( at first ) extensions to OpenGL ... ? Why don't do it within the framework of the only industry standard for 3D graphics ?

Comment

I am sorry for the harsh reply.

AMD will make Mantle-like OpenGL extensions too:
                    Well, you gotta love AMD and its engineers. Mantle looks – in paper – amazing, however that’s not the only thing the red team is currently working on. According to Graham Sellers, OpenGL guy at AMD, the red team will be supporting this open API with some high performance extensions that will offer almost similar … Continue reading AMD Aims To Give OpenGL A Big Boost, “API Won’t Be The Bottleneck” →

AMD currently seems to throw APIs at the wall to see what sticks. There are like 5 of them now (Windows DirectX, Xbox DirectX, PS4 PSGL(?), Mantle and OpenGL+extensions), all for the same hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X