Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: NVIDIA Briefly Talks Up EGL

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,359

    Default NVIDIA Briefly Talks Up EGL

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Briefly Talks Up EGL

    While NVIDIA hasn't yet released any EGL support for their binary desktop Linux graphics driver to complement GLX, we know they are working on it going back to last year's XDC. At this year's XDC event, there was a brief NVIDIA EGL presentation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2OTM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    279

    Default

    LOL, he keeps saying ahhhh, ummmm, it hurts my nerves.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    344

    Default

    He looks very much like he doesn't want to be there

    Unfortunately I don't know anything about EGL so most of the things he was talking about went over my head, but I think he was talking about providing a driver-level EGL API for the compositor to talk to the driver (GFX card) and then act as the mediator between the hardware and the display server, choosing the EGL device it wants to use for each display... unless I'm talking out my ass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Nice to finally hear something from NVida about potentially Wayland compatible drivers. What about you, AMD?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    He looks very much like he doesn't want to be there
    He is mostly likely just a bad/nervous presenter. Not everyone is good at giving presentations in front of crowds, in fact most people are not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    269

    Thumbs up Another fresh news from Phoronix, Thanks!

    Well done, Michael!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    Nice to finally hear something from NVida about potentially Wayland compatible drivers. What about you, AMD?
    OSS driver from AMD works. I'm tired of compiling drivers after every kernel upgrade.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32

    Default EGL_MESA_drm_image extension?

    AFAIK not only is EGL support the stumbling block for Wayland, but also support of the EGL_MESA_drm_image is required. http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/..._drm_image.txt I've not heard of any of the vendors talking about support for it and if not, why they don't "like" it. I'm only 1/3 of the way through the video (it is a little rough watching) but so far it seems to be talking of different EGL extensions. For instance, are EGL Streams (assuming all vendors start supporting them) something that would work in place of the drm_image extension? Could Wayland/Weston be made to support them?

    I do like that first slide's last bullet point of GPUs should not be in the way of windowing systems.

    I'm also cautiously optimistic.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsuru View Post
    AFAIK not only is EGL support the stumbling block for Wayland, but also support of the EGL_MESA_drm_image is required. http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/..._drm_image.txt I've not heard of any of the vendors talking about support for it and if not, why they don't "like" it. I'm only 1/3 of the way through the video (it is a little rough watching) but so far it seems to be talking of different EGL extensions. For instance, are EGL Streams (assuming all vendors start supporting them) something that would work in place of the drm_image extension? Could Wayland/Weston be made to support them?

    I do like that first slide's last bullet point of GPUs should not be in the way of windowing systems.

    I'm also cautiously optimistic.
    I think that's not an actual issue, since the Raspberry PI doesn't provide that extension and they've got wayland working there. I suspect that there probably should be something added to EGL1.5 that standardizes that kind of need/interface though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •