Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Was Briefly Talked About This Week At XDC2013

Phoronix: Mir Was Briefly Talked About This Week At XDC2013

Mir was discussed briefly at this week's X.Org Developers' Conference by a Canonical employee...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since Mir has no protocol and buffers reside on the server, how does the client application draw stuff on those buffers? and how the client - server processes transmit data back and forth?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      Since Mir has no protocol and buffers reside on the server, how does the client application draw stuff on those buffers? and how the client - server processes transmit data back and forth?
      AFAIK, buffers are allocated server side. The server just provide a pointer to the client.

Comment

A client gets a pointer to a buffer, but the buffer resides in server's memory. And of couse we have some API...

Comment

What am I missing here? You can't simply pass pointers between processes! Each process has its own address space.

Comment

What you missed is that Mir has a protocol, but it's an internal one that clients are not supposed to implement directly: they link with a Mir client library which implements the protocol.
            That's why Siekacz told you that there is an API..

renoX

Comment

What am I missing here? You can't simply pass pointers between processes! Each process has its own address space.
              They are not pointers, but file descriptors, which you can pass between processes. The kernel takes care of the remapping.

Comment

It was hard to hear what the first question-guy said, but the atmosphere in that room is so...dark. The Wayland guys are really annoyed with Mir.

Comment

I'm confused why a question about CLA was asked when the presenter wasn't discussing licenses. I would be pissed if I was discussing my work and someone asked by about sports...... Why did the questioner think this was the right person to ask? Its like asking a plumber about your medical needs.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    I'm confused why a question about CLA was asked when the presenter wasn't discussing licenses. I would be pissed if I was discussing my work and someone asked by about sports...... Why did the questioner think this was the right person to ask? Its like asking a plumber about your medical needs.
                    Christopher Halse Rogers is one of the main developers of Mir. Don't you think that as a developer you should know the implications of the license of your project and be able to explain them?

Comment

Working...
                    X