Thread: There's Still Work On Mainlining exFAT Linux Support

Default There's Still Work On Mainlining exFAT Linux Support

Phoronix: There's Still Work On Mainlining exFAT Linux Support

There's still ongoing work to mainline the open-source exFAT file-system support within the Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2ODc

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    with IP/patent issues.
    Isn't that a problem for mainlining? I'm no expert at that area but AFAIK the GPLv2 doesn't handle patents while the GPLv3 does. As Samsung uses the "or any later version" some could say the GPLv3 applies to handle the patents, but as the kernel is GPLv2 only I think the question is can a GPLv3 project be applied to a GPLv2 project. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Isn't that a problem for mainlining? I'm no expert at that area but AFAIK the GPLv2 doesn't handle patents while the GPLv3 does. As Samsung uses the "or any later version" some could say the GPLv3 applies to handle the patents, but as the kernel is GPLv2 only I think the question is can a GPLv3 project be applied to a GPLv2 project. Am I right?
    I think it is a problem for anyone that ships the linux kernel, so while it is not directly mainline's problem, it certainly comes into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Copyright law/licensing and patent law/licensing are two different things. (speaking in context of the US IP laws) As such, licensing of one has no bearing on the other. Merging the code is strictly in the realm of copyright law. Patent concerns do not apply until you try to distribute compiled binary as a product.