AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    And it is using HLSL for shaders, making it incompatible with OpenGL/WebGL. I guess it is some bastardized DirectX11 variant. Well done AMD suckers.

PS: I wonder how low-level it is, how it would be affected by GPU architecture changes, or how well it maps to non AMD GPUs (or future AMD GPUs, beyond GCN I mean)?
    No, it is compatible with HLSL, not using HLSL. There's a difference. It's pointless to speculate about that which cannot be speculated yet.

Comment

Its all politics thats why radeon is in this shape and AMD announced Mantle right now. That said this is alliance of necessity AMD would like to isolate NVIDIA and MS loves to EEE once more this time with AMD cooperation.

Comment

Before anyone else comments, read this first: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/u...cs-api-for-gcn

Comment

Yeah, we already read it, that's why we are 'whining' ... Both AMD's live presentation and the subsequent analysis on various sides, like anandtech you pointed to, make absolutely no mention of anything other than the Windows Driver.

Once again : AMD + 2 x abject monopolistic corporations that piss on everything smelling a 'standard' that won't let them vendor lock-in => 'standard' API with one reference implementation as a proprietary, closed source windows driver. Given AMD's TRACK RECORD with fglrx quality and features on Linux vs Windows, as of now, the bets are of this being a 'Red CUDA' equivalent from AMD.

I might be wrong, and I sincerely hope I am, and we'll find out in November that Mantle will work out-of-the-box cross-platform on Windows/XBONE, Mac, Linux/FreeBSD-PS4, but, again : the TRACK RECORD of AMD doesn't lie.

Comment

so, is mantle basically gallium3d?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              No, it is compatible with HLSL, not using HLSL. There's a difference. ...
              Lol, are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post
                <more whining and crying>
                No, apparently you're a retard in need of psychological help.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  so, is mantle basically gallium3d?
                  Did you not read the article? http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/u...cs-api-for-gcn
                  It's nowhere close to gallium3D, mesa, openGL, DirectX, or anything like that. It's directly interfacing with the hardware; completely bypassing an abstraction layer which bogs down the graphics rendering process, in a highly threaded manner. It also provides direct memory access to the VRAM for the developer. In other words, it cuts out the middleman and gets straight to business in a finely tuned low-level environment similar to console development.
                  Last edited by mmstick; 26 September 2013, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick
                    Why would he listen to an idiot who can neither read, think, nor act appropriately? Rofl
                    Because he wrote in red!

Comment

But we already have open standards for that, they are called ... gasp ... OpenGL and OpenCL.
                      Mantle API will be open, but that doesn't mean that Mantle is an open standard. I don't think that an open standard would accommodate AMD's goal here, giving developers the ability to program close to the hardware.

Epic fail, AMD, yet another shitty Windows-only 'standard' - 20 years of M$ pissing and sabotaging every single kind of standard they could get their hands on gives us an idea where this is going ...
                      Windows-only? You are simply stating an uninformed opinion.

(Source: Techspot)

Comment

Working...
                      X