Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X

Default AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X

Phoronix: AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X

AMD announced today the Radeon R9 290X graphics card as their new ultra high-end product...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2ODg

You can watch it live *now*

http://www.livestream.com/amdlivestream

once they fixed the stream...

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    You can watch it live *now*

http://www.livestream.com/amdlivestream

once they fixed the stream...
    Event has now started. It is supposed to be two hours long and will include at least Battlefield 4, maybe other games.

Right now AMD is showing the nextgen Radeon GPUs live at their event.

Word is going around that they will announce drastically improved AMD Linux drivers later during the event. That would be within the next hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Right now AMD is showing the nextgen Radeon GPUs live at their event.

Word is going around that they will announce drastically improved AMD Linux drivers later during the event. That would be within the next hour or so.
    BTW, I wonder if that "TrueAudio" stuff is a dedicated hardware block or "just" a software feature running on the shaders?
    Last edited by entropy; 09-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    BTW, I wonder if that "TrueAudio" stuff is a dedicated hardware block or "just" a software feature running on the shaders?
    I have no idea. I'll wait for tech guys to test this stuff before I get interested in Audio.

More looking forward to the imminent Linux announcement at the event. Hopefully it'll be something nice, because that's what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I have no idea. I'll wait for tech guys to test this stuff before I get interested in Audio.

More looking forward to the imminent Linux announcement at the event. Hopefully it'll be something nice, because that's what I hear.
    I hope they announce the mantle renderer for the FOSS radeon drivers today! Imagine how bad ass that'd be just write a mantle backend and get linux support PLUS great performance on every platform. Could be a huge upset for nvidia.

Watched that stream from about 23:10 CET to the end, no mentioning of Linux or Linux gaming at all, instead great emphasize on DirectX 11.
    I would call that fail, AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Watched that stream from about 23:10 CET to the end, no mentioning of Linux or Linux gaming at all, instead great emphasize on DirectX 11.
    I would call that fail, AMD.
    Just curious, why did you think there was going to be a Linux announcement ?

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    I hope they announce the mantle renderer for the FOSS radeon drivers today! Imagine how bad ass that'd be just write a mantle backend and get linux support PLUS great performance on every platform. Could be a huge upset for nvidia.
    So since it is a very thin layer on top the hardware, it should be comparably easy to implement?
    Or is it the other way around?