X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    What forum rule has Honton broken?
    No thread jacking will be permitted.

A perfect example is today's news blurb about systemd changing their release model to add a stable branch. And what's the first reply in the discussion? Surprise! It's Honton talking about CLA, even though the article is about systemd, which doesn't have one. That's a thinly-veiled way and extremely lame way to try to get people arguing about systemd vs. upstart (as if that hasn't already been discussed to death).

How is it trolling if it's his real opinion?
    His "opinion" is repeated excessively to the point of absurdity. We all know he thinks KDE is dead and Qt is evil, but he will post flamebait in any vaguely-related thread. All he needs to do is repeatedly post an image of a Gnome foot going up Konqi's rear and he will be just as bad as the BSD troll...

Comment

Heh, if that rule were strictly enforced, you'd ban 98% of phoronix users.

Comment

Tell me why this is a bad thing?

Comment

Understood. With the exception of spam/pr0n, the forum rules aren't strictly enforced, and that's a good thing for the most part. Unfortunately, some people are very good at using the leeway to create chaos for their personal lulz...

Comment

how about making this into a poll

Comment

Yeah, and the senior members can vote in a similar manner as Debian!

I'm completely serious by the way; I want to see another phoenix wright version of something.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                how about making this into a poll
                I already went through that experiment with Qaridarium a few years back... About half the people are supportive and of the other half, most acknowledge the problematic behavior, but feel a ban is against free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  I already went through that experiment with Qaridarium a few years back... About half the people are supportive and of the other half, most acknowledge the problematic behavior, but feel a ban is against free speech.
                  ty, i couldn't remember hes name
                  Q was at least funny at times

Honton is just a troll, simple as that

Comment

Q is still around (brosis), but has levelled off the extremes that caused the problems and I give him/her major credit for that.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                      ty, i couldn't remember hes name
                      Q was at least funny at times

Honton is just a troll, simple as that
                      I think this issue as a whole runs a little deeper than that. Lets assume that we've all agreed that he's a troll and the only reason why he's posting is to derail or bait people. The fact still stands that he hasn't (from what I've seen) been derogatory or vulgar, and as others have pointed out, there are far worse examples who need a looking at. Is that still enough to have him banned?

I do like the occasional good troll though, the ones that are true and funny even though they're saying doesn't even apply in the current situation that everyone else is discussing. But I like it the same way I like music where the singing isn't 100% pitch perfect.

That being said, assume that everyone agrees to ban him. Then what prevents the next one, and the next from doing the same? Will we have to go through this all over again? How would we decide again.

If people are actually taking this all seriously, then we should seriously consider a solution that will be more effective long-term. I feel that personal attacks rate higher on the should-be-banned scale than misinformation or bad personal opinion. Good treatment of each other tends to weed out bad information as well (people are less likely to listen to someone who is just being mean, and also more likely to be mean back), and we already have quite a few people here on the forums who do know what's going on 95% of the time.

For this particular case, I would suggest (again) a FYI-you-don't-have-the-only-opinion-and-you-don't-have-to-spread-it-around-needlessly. Take a look at politics, those guys have perfected the art of holding punches. They take a look at what someone's doing, wait for mistake, and then hurl a flurry of attacks, usually convincing a lot of people; you have to make sure the punchline is after the joke.

Comment

Working...
                      X