Please Turn Off The Honton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
    Censorship? This is a privately owned forum. There is no right to free speech on private forums, and therefore, the term is "enforcing the rules", not 'censorship'.
    Any suppression of public communication is censorship and technically "enforcing the rules", the key is "Why?". Honton is not abusive nor offensive and in reality, plenty of people probably enjoy arguing with him, otherwise they would not respond.

Comment

Originally posted by littleowl View Post
      Any suppression of public communication is censorship
      I don't think JX8p disagreed with your definition of censorship, it's just that there's a high correlation between people that decry private censorship, and people who think all speech is free speech. For that reason, I believe JX8p mistook you for one of these people.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        I don't agree that he should just be banned. He's not being abusive or resulted to personal attacks. It's just a little bit of ignorance.
        I would suggest a mod to send him a PM and then close this thread.
        It's not really a little bit of ignorance, it's a massive pit of ignorance stirred by absolute fanboyism for gnome. I would also disagree with the notion that he hasn't been abusive, he's taken every opportunity he can to attack KDE and Qt, and anyone else who does not support his perception of Gnome, even going so far as to create his own thread called "Gnome kills KDE". Also while I agree with his assessment on the matter (a very rare occurance) he's called Ian Jackson a clown and I seem to recall him resorting to name calling against other people (kde developers, and systemd opponents in particular), and he's generally regarded as a troll and a nuisance on this forum. So he's not really this innocent person you and littleowl are making him out to be, he's a FanTroll. And littleowl I wouldn't presume that people are arguing with him simply out of enjoyment as opposed to a sense of duty to ensure that other readers don't get pulled in by his garbage.

this all said I'm more or less indifferent to him getting banned, particularly as he's probably just going to come back under a different name the same way BSDSUCKSDICKS did.
        Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 28 February 2014, 02:22 AM.

Comment

THIS

ban HONTON and all his re-incarnations (maybe blocking his IP if its static?)

Comment

Double standards, much?
            I agree that Honton is a PITA. But as far as I can see he is never or seldom abusive, only obnoxious.
            Considering that GNOME or systemd posts usually has multiple people bashing it in similar ways like Honton, (but mostly with more bad words), singling him out is really just hypocritical.

I for one would welcome active moderators who could keep the discussions somewhat civil, regardless of the topic being discussed. I am not talking about censorship or limiting the topics, only that the level of some posts here are making me seriously doubt humanity. This is the only forum I've used that actually *needs* the ignore-feature.

Comment

What forum rule has Honton broken?

There are much more abusive users here, and I too find he is correct in the CLA risks. How is it trolling if it's his real opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

There are much more abusive users here, and I too find he is correct in the CLA risks. How is it trolling if it's his real opinion?
                Mostly because his post are often not relevant to the discussion. If he wants to give his opinion, he can have a blog. Forums are here to discuss either the actual piece of news, or to discuss with other users, and he usually does neither.

I would not have him banned for that though (or in that case not just him).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

The trolling lies in the repetition over and over again WITHOUT adding more or new information. He also NEVER answers Questions he does not like / can not answer in his favor. This sort of ignorance crushes the whole point of discussing with him. People that are just obviously abusive are easy to report via the forum-report-button - but with Honton this is impossible because he is NOT obviously abusive.

But he is also not really discussing things - what he does is a monologue most of the time. And the level of ignoring relevant questions like for sources etc. is abusive in an indirect way. I really feel offended by this behaviour.

Only dialogues should be allowed in a forum - not monologues.

If there are users that are worse, name them please. I cannot find anyone that is so persistently repeating the same stuff over and over again in such a arrogant way, never accepting any argument or defeat. He may be right in some points, but he is also wrong very often. But he is incapable of accepting good arguments.

cheers, tomme

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    If there are users that are worse, name them please. I cannot find anyone that is so persistently repeating the same stuff over and over again in such a arrogant way, never accepting any argument or defeat. He may be right in some points, but he is also wrong very often. But he is incapable of accepting good arguments.
                    They'd be the only people on my ignore list, pal666 and yogi_berra. Abusive in a quite different way though.

The BSD ANALS guy used to be bad, but he's since stepped it up from "lol bsd" to long essays in good English.

Comment

If someone is going to be band it should be http://www.phoronix.com/forums/membe...68972-Pallidus

I'm sick of moderating his posts its seems about every second one is reported for the filth he posts

Comment

Working...
                      X