No announcement yet.

What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hope is that SteamOS will influence future distros.

Comment

I hope I can still use SteamOS as a development platform. It would be nice to have all the performance improvements for gaming and still have a DE that is suitable for desktop use.

Comment

Hopefully:

1. they push for faster development of free video drivers.
        2. they bake an integrated wine solution to steam for currently existing windows games.
        3. they choose a culture and technologies that help strengthen the linux ecosystem rather than fragment it in the long run. (I imagine they'll initially have to build up many custom system components and such to get going fast enough).
        4. they generally promote free software in regards to codecs and such.
        Last edited by Pahanilmanlintu; 24 September 2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          You expect too much. I can guarantee you'll get disappointed.
          Specially on the DRM point, there is no chance in hell they'll drop DRM.
          And Linux exclusive games, why? That just sounds as a hateful thing to say.
          How exactly did you come up with association Linux exclusive = hateful
          DRM = no money from me and some others I think it is important for Linux community to lobby for DRM-less games.
          Right should have added title to this if i had it would say which benefits can Linux reap from Valve
          Last edited by Ramiliez; 24 September 2013, 01:22 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

For the development of Steam OS I hope it supports true community efforts like systemd and wayland. A real Debian base would be good. I hope Valve improves a lot of the stack and contributes massively to the kernel and other parts as opposed to that other popular distribution.
            Just don't ship with very outdated packages this will only make it harder for people with Intel iGPUs. They don't need much of a desktop or window management so something like a Steam Shell which runs ontop of a Wayland compositor would be ideal. systemd makes Steam OS boot like lightning.
            Last edited by blackout23; 24 September 2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

My main wish is that SteamOS continues to function as a regular Linux OS rather than being locked inside the Steam client. I want to be able to switch from the Steam client back to the desktop (hopefully Gnome Shell) and be able to run Firefox or run XBMC. Oh, and I would like to be able to SSH into the box from my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by article
                Though what's your hopes from SteamOS? High performance open-source GPU drivers?
                No.

A binary blob-free kernel land?
                No, definitely not.

Btrfs by default?
                I doubt it.

The BFS scheduler by default given the gaming system target?
                Can't really comment on that.

Now...

What I'm hoping for is an easy way for people to enjoy their games on Linux in their living rooms.

Also, I'm expecting Valve to release some sort of Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality hardware, that is to be accompanied with their gaming console.

Also, the third announcement has to be Half-life 3. Just because.

(Obviously if this, for some miraclous reason were to happen, Half-life 3 would be launched in 2014 alongside their gaming console and their virtual reality headgear. Those combined would revolutionize virtual 3D reality gaming.)

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                  Come on guys, this is a no-factor. Its essentially game streaming, meaning you need a Windows PC in the first place.

Hence the problem.
                  NO, game streaming is an additional bonus for older games that will never see a port. It also mentions that AAA titles will be coming natively to Linux.

Comment

It's time to take another cut out of MS's market lock in. I'm sick and tired of the whole MS tax thing that has been going on far too long.

Comment

I expect more or less same steam we have no as a GUI without windowmanager. (it is already supported in the ordinary steam client)

Comment

Working...
                      X