Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Advancements Continue Around Wayland, GNOME

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    If you'd have bothered to follow the low level world of KWin you would know they are far behind on implementing Wayland because they are ripping out cruft to move to QT Frameworks for KDE and it's KDE Frameworks initiative.

    They won't be Wayland stable until KDE 5, if that.
    I am well aware of that. But there is more to Wayland support than just kwin. kwin has been going to a somewhat slower pace than Gnome for the reasons you stated, but others parts have been moving at a faster pace. Honton only looks at the case where Gnome/GTK moves faster, but is conspicuously silent in areas where KDE/Qt has moved faster.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    KDE is welcome to walk the road Gnome paves. Just be polite and respect the bigger and faster moving DE.
    Honton, I'd like you to answer me something.

    What exactly made you decide "I'm going to preach about how GNOME is better than KDE in a way so annoying that less people use GNOME"? Like, in the first place, GNOME and KDE aren't competing. They are two different means to the same end using different technologies and that's it. There is no marketing or competing involved. If there was, you'd be doing a VERY bad job of supporting the GNOME side (just as BO$$ does a very bad job of supporting Ubuntu).

    tl;dr Why do you assume GNOME and KDE are fighting against each other?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Honton, I'd like you to answer me something.

    What exactly made you decide "I'm going to preach about how GNOME is better than KDE in a way so annoying that less people use GNOME"? Like, in the first place, GNOME and KDE aren't competing. They are two different means to the same end using different technologies and that's it. There is no marketing or competing involved. If there was, you'd be doing a VERY bad job of supporting the GNOME side (just as BO$$ does a very bad job of supporting Ubuntu).

    tl;dr Why do you assume GNOME and KDE are fighting against each other?
    Wouldn't be surprised if boss and funkstar are the same person(/same disorder).

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if boss and funkstar are the same person(/same disorder).
    You're still wondering about that?!?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Should I assume something else? If yes, then please explain to me why the don't share as much as possible.
    We work together with KDE and various other desktop environments on freedesktop.org. Could be areas where we could improve things, but it has resulted in loads of standards over the years. See e.g. http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/. Aside from this we also work together at a window manager level (so not just desktop environments). Due to historic reasons, that mailing list is at gnome.org. Any desktop environment will obviously think that their way of doing things is best (otherwise why not contribute to or use the other). Further, I want GNOME to be the best desktop (better also than Windows or Mac OS). Still, best of luck to any free software desktop environment.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Didn't the gnome project just move to a new new gtkwebkit called gtkwebkit2? That could've introduced some problems.
    As far as Qt is concerned, aren't they moving to a new web renderer (based on the new google project)?
    It's actually webkit2gtk, the GTK+ port of WebKit2. One of the differences is that it uses a seperate process for plugins, like Mozilla does with Gecko (plugin-container), so GTK+2 plugins can work with GTK+3 apps. Adobe Flash Player (it's GTK+2 app) didn't work with Epiphany 3.x untill it was ported to webkit2gtk. See [1] for more info.

    [1] http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKit2

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Should I assume something else? If yes, then please explain to me why the don't share as much as possible.
    I'm pretty sure they share quite a lot. Most of the stuff they don't share is either based on ideals or the different software they use to build their DE.

    It's like me making coffee in a percolator and you telling me coffee makers are better because more people are behind them. Meanwhile, I'm over here enjoying my idea of a perfectly brewed cup and somebody else using a coffee maker is enjoying THEIR idea of a perfectly brewed cup.
    We're not fighting about which is better, we're both enjoying our idea of of the "perfect cup" made in two different ways.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they share quite a lot. Most of the stuff they don't share is either based on ideals or the different software they use to build their DE.

    It's like me making coffee in a percolator and you telling me coffee makers are better because more people are behind them. Meanwhile, I'm over here enjoying my idea of a perfectly brewed cup and somebody else using a coffee maker is enjoying THEIR idea of a perfectly brewed cup.
    We're not fighting about which is better, we're both enjoying our idea of of the "perfect cup" made in two different ways.
    That's true, but there are some people that take it as there is actually a "right way" to brew coffee and those get mad at the ones who "do it wrong". It's a stupid discussion, but it happens A LOT. People tend to get mad instead of enjoying their damn coffee.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    That's true, but there are some people that take it as there is actually a "right way" to brew coffee and those get mad at the ones who "do it wrong". It's a stupid discussion, but it happens A LOT. People tend to get mad instead of enjoying their damn coffee.
    Or grilling - gas or charcoal. Huge debates erupt over the silliest things. People become emotionally invested in their argument, and become seriously enraged over stuff like this because it's difficult to believe someone could be so stupid as to disagree with you.

    Got to love the internet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •