Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advancements Continue Around Wayland, GNOME

Phoronix: Advancements Continue Around Wayland, GNOME

Red Hat's Christian Schaller has shared some more information about improvements happening in the GNOME/Fedora Wayland world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is the author writing these stories while on a trip? Anyway, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      That is how you roll when you have more and better contributors than the competition.
      You were well and truly murked during you last trolling attempt, why do you bother?

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        A few beers can't change what we all know. Gnome is moving full flank ahead on Wayland support. That is how you roll when you have more and better contributors than the competition.
        Or, maybe it takes more work to get Gnome working. You know, like having to submit multiple patches to Wayland recently to get their webkit implementation working on it while Qt's worked fine with an unpatched wayland months ago? I can't help you weren't bragging about how great Gnome was or how bad Qt was on that thread.
        Last edited by TheBlackCat; 24 September 2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          Or, maybe it takes more work to get Gnome working. You know, like having to submit multiple patches to Wayland recently to get their webkit implementation working on it while Qt's worked fine with an unpatched wayland months ago? I can't help you weren't bragging about how great Gnome was or how bad Qt was on that thread.
          We had to add several missing features to Wayland. It is great when you have no knowledge and just assume things. Maybe maybe our Webkit supports a little bit more? :P

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
            We had to add several missing features to Wayland. It is great when you have no knowledge and just assume things. Maybe maybe our Webkit supports a little bit more? :P
            Honton is a well-known troll. I am just pointing out his/her hypocrisy.

The fact of the matter is that both KDE and Gnome are doing a lot of work to get Wayland working, and both are making a lot of progress. But they are doing things in a different order and in different ways. Honton always likes to claim in these posts that Gnome/GTK is making faster progress, but is conspicuously silent in cases where KDE/Qt has made faster progress.

And I am not sure exactly what I assumed, I pointed out that KDE/Qt has made faster progress in some areas, and provided an alternative explanation that fits that data equally well (I noticed you did the same thing, also without providing any evidence).
            Last edited by TheBlackCat; 24 September 2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

The fact of the matter is that both KDE and Gnome are doing a lot of work to get Wayland working, and both are making a lot of progress.
              I understood, no problem. Could you give me some pointers how I can follow the progress of KDE and Wayland? I'm following that person who maintains the KDE window manager (kwin?). Any recommendations for other people or mailing lists to follow? Prefer sources which have a lot of info about Wayland, not too much other stuff (except if generally interesting like the kwin maintainer).

Comment

first draft of a Wayland protocol extension for handling Wacom tablets
                Yes! Awesome.

Comment

Didn't the gnome project just move to a new new gtkwebkit called gtkwebkit2? That could've introduced some problems.
                  As far as Qt is concerned, aren't they moving to a new web renderer (based on the new google project)?

Comment

If you'd have bothered to follow the low level world of KWin you would know they are far behind on implementing Wayland because they are ripping out cruft to move to QT Frameworks for KDE and it's KDE Frameworks initiative.

They won't be Wayland stable until KDE 5, if that.

Comment

Working...
                    X