X.Org vs. XMir On KDE, Xfce, Unity Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Now there is essentially no reason not to use XMir, other than driver support for EGL from AMD and NVIDIA. The benefits from using XMir instead of X are good enough reason to ditch X for now.
    Can you tell me about "the benefits"? Even though the performance is not a problem anymore (on Intel, we should check if that's valid with radeon and nouveau too), does it come with any reason to use it instead pure X.org? It is still an extra layer of bugs (not intended as a criticism, every software contains bugs), so I expect a real benefit from using it.

Comment

Now there is essentially no reason not to use XMir, other than driver support for EGL from AMD and NVIDIA. The benefits from using XMir instead of X are good enough reason to ditch X for now.
      What benefits are those, again? Still, good to see that they've at least got performance back up to par.

Comment

Good on Canonical, but these tests need to be given with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards as well :P

I feel like wayyyy too many people are confusing XMir with Mir at this point. That really needs to be fixed...
        XMir == X
        They are pretty much one in the same (XMir is X running on top of Mir). With "composite bypass" for fullscreen OpenGL applications, of course the performance would be similar.

What I want to see is the performance for HD movies and such (windowed and fullscreen), as that is what I do with my computer, not games

I don't get the hate on Ubuntu just because of the Mir thing. I loved Unity until 12.04 when they completely destroyed it's performance on my computer...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Good on Canonical, but these tests need to be given with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards as well :P

I feel like wayyyy too many people are confusing XMir with Mir at this point. That really needs to be fixed...
          XMir == X
          They are pretty much one in the same (XMir is X running on top of Mir). With "composite bypass" for fullscreen OpenGL applications, of course the performance would be similar.

What I want to see is the performance for HD movies and such (windowed and fullscreen), as that is what I do with my computer, not games

I don't get the hate on Ubuntu just because of the Mir thing. I loved Unity until 12.04 when they completely destroyed it's performance on my computer...
          For fullscreened movies wouldn't we expect the window manager to use overlays/composite bypass?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            I don't get the hate on Ubuntu just because of the Mir thing.
            You don't? Then you must be wilfully ignorant, because the reasons for the Mir controversy have been explained on these forums for a billion times by dozens of people now.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              You don't? Then you must be wilfully ignorant, because the reasons for the Mir controversy have been explained on these forums for a billion times by dozens of people now.
              Just because dozens of people repeat the same fallacious statements over and over does not give their arguments more weight. Most of the time those dozen people just sound bitter and/or crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Pot calling the kettle black. Despite most of your FUD being disproved time and time again, like the good shill you are,you stick to your agenda infecting every thread you can with your verbal diarrhea

Comment

The benefits from using XMir instead of X are good enough reason to ditch X for now.
                  which are?

i will keep x.org for a long time as it's networktransparency makes it still a must have for most of my important installations.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                    Meanwhile "LinuxGamer":

More like

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      More like
                      damn thats what you look like

While Linux enthusiasts are quick to criticize Canonical's Mir display server for a number of reasons, the performance impact of having XMir involved in the graphics stack is no longer much of a legitimate complaint when using the very latest software -- at least for Intel users; the 2D and 3D performance is both generally in good shape.
                      can you do some power usage tests and AMD or Nvidia?

Comment

Working...
                      X