Rasberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rasberry Pi

Has anyone here played around with embedded devices such as Raspberry Pi or Arduino?

Pro's / Cons ?

I've already played with the Arduino, and found it pretty easy to use.

Also has anyone done any programming on other similar machines? (FPGA) Maybe phoronix could do a review on a bunch of them.

I've done a little of both, but "Pros/Cons?" is a frighteningly broad question that can only be answered in the vaguest of terms. Counting the Raspberry Pi as embedded is a questionable classification, as by many definitions it wouldn't be: whilst the processor isn't remarkably strong, it's very much a general purpose machine. The arduino however, seems much more focused on being a component in a larger system.

Before we go any further though; what are you intending to do with your device? If you don't have a project in mind then I'd recommend against buying anything.

Reviewing a bunch of machines wouldn't be useful unless it was "Reviewing X, Y, and Z as systems to do W". Where W could be acting as a media centre, chat server, interface between input devices and a PC, et cetera.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
      I've done a little of both, but "Pros/Cons?" is a frighteningly broad question that can only be answered in the vaguest of terms. Counting the Raspberry Pi as embedded is a questionable classification, as by many definitions it wouldn't be: whilst the processor isn't remarkably strong, it's very much a general purpose machine. The arduino however, seems much more focused on being a component in a larger system.

Before we go any further though; what are you intending to do with your device? If you don't have a project in mind then I'd recommend against buying anything.
      In my case I considered making a simple fuel injection system for a 2 cycle engine. I've programmed the Arduino and it is very powerful, but I don't think it has the processing power. I know that fuel injection systems in racing cars use FPGA machines rather than simple embedded machines. What attracted me to the Raspberry Pi is that it can run arch linux, which just happens to be my favourite distro. Not to mention that it's competitive price tag compared to the Arduino.

Comment

Working...
      X