The SteamBox Countdown Is Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
    Anyone else disappointed that Mir wasn't ready in time for this, and that now it has to come with X.org? If they ever more to Mir or Wayland down the line, they will have to drop support for X.org games, or the devs will have to rewrite them, right?
    Some are surmising that SteamOS will be 12.04 (Precise) since the public Steam-Client for Linux is only distributed for that version. This doesn't mean they wont build for 13.10 then release that for public access.

It would be bad advice for any Linux coders in Valve to suggest sticking to an old version of Ubuntu as that would bring about turmoil involved in a transition from XOrg to Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Fullscreen applications bypass the display server anyway and write into the GPUs framebuffer.
      SteamOS is not simply a Media Center that one can experience now with Big Screen mode in the Steam Client. It will be an OS to replace Windows so that Users can download Linux games and play them as well as do normal computing. Valve wants people off Windows.

The Big Screen Mode will also change to a streaming front end, with channels to various computers in the home, or with tweaking to a socket outside the home. SteamOS will also support Cloud Streaming for interactive video technology that can be used for gaming or movie watching. Example using your mobile phone to play a desktop quality game with the video/audio being formulated in the cloud with feedback from the controller connection.

Comment

Originally posted by aidendaniel View Post
        "...that already has thousands of compatible games".
        Steam only had around 200 Linux compatible games last I checked?
        You're not grasping that you will be able to do interactive based Audio/Visual streaming from your various machines to> SteamOS/Ubuntu/Linux.

You will also be able to stream game from cloud computing once they get the services up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          SteamOS is not simply a Media Center that one can experience now with Big Screen mode in the Steam Client. It will be an OS to replace Windows so that Users can download Linux games and play them as well as do normal computing. Valve wants people off Windows.
          I completely disagree. This is just a media center OS. Most people buy and use their computers for work/school first, and games are an afterthought or a distant second priority. There are the raving Valve fanatics that will reformat their main computers with SteamOS. But people who use their computers for productivity, don't want to give up what they have, and don't want a video game OS. It's fine to have some games installed that you don't see when you're in work mode, but to have a video game branded OS on your entire computer is too much.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
            I completely disagree. This is just a media center OS. Most people buy and use their computers for work/school first, and games are an afterthought or a distant second priority. There are the raving Valve fanatics that will reformat their main computers with SteamOS. But people who use their computers for productivity, don't want to give up what they have, and don't want a video game OS. It's fine to have some games installed that you don't see when you're in work mode, but to have a video game branded OS on your entire computer is too much.
            yeah, almost like a console, and those die in 1985 after the NES, right?

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
              I think SteamOS is a good idea because this way gaming on most Linux distros will be easily supported via automatically set up SteamOS chroots (delivered as a package through existing package management), suddenly making many Linux distros viable choices for gamers and giving developers a single build target for near universal Linux support... hopefully.
              Seriously? Having to use two computers would be a viable alternative? You would still running the game on Windows, and except for the case of playing on a TV, it's far more practical to, you know, just play it on the computer it runs, with Windows.

Originally posted by ACiD View Post
              Eeeek! Wrong!

On windows you don't have such a problem since no manufacturer is dumb enough to release hardware without OS support.
              So what? Windows works well. That doesn't change a bit what I said. An enthusiast is by definition someone interested.
              You call yourself an enthusiast, and don't read about your subject of interest? I can understand a regular Joe assuming it's just like Windows and not reading, but an enthusiast is not a regular Joe. Is someone interested. Is someone trying different things knowing they are different things.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                Seriously? Having to use two computers would be a viable alternative? You would still running the game on Windows, and except for the case of playing on a TV, it's far more practical to, you know, just play it on the computer it runs, with Windows.
                the streaming is a way to give users a legacy support for the old games, look, new consoles have worse alternatives, like streaming from the cloud (for which you have to pay for) of well, nothing, you have to see the future, and the titles that are coming, just as it is now, it has the biggest catalog of the new generation consoles (without considering the streaming thing).
                Last edited by YaPeL; 24 September 2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  Unless the computer that runs Windows isn't in the living room. The idea behind this is to allow for easy gaming in the living room, on the TV. Booting my main PC and turning on a steambox to stream from my main PC is much more practical than shifting my PC into the lounge every time I want to play a game on the TV (besides, I already have a PC wired into the TV).

Comment

Exactly, game streaming from a PC with Window$ is just a Legacy path for games that will NEVER be ported anyway because they are too old, devs don't care or gone away long ago so there is no way in hell they will be ported.

It's a nice way to players have their (not_so_)old Window$ games investment protected with a chance to continue to play them ad nausea in a different system.

PS2 and PS3 will have to PAY to have that in the PS4 and XBone possibly similar to PS4 system...and they need the "cloud" with the potential problems for bandwidth and/or traffic limits.

Comment

...and another thing....i can not stop thinking in the words from Gabe talking about that made things easier to IW and Call of Duty franchise...

Next Call of Duty (Ghosts or its sucessor ) on SteamBox ?!?

Like it or not , Call of Duty is *the* FPS franchise for witch all are compared in terms of sells, etc. imagine it running native on Linux/Steam OS since day one )

Comment

Working...
                      X