No announcement yet.

The SteamBox Countdown Is Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- They mention Steam OS will improve performance and decrease latency for input, graphics and sound
    - AAA game announcements for Steam OS/Linux soon
    - for the time being, Windows/Mac streaming to Stream OS
    - Music, Video, TV content soon
    - Game sharing for family & friends

Bonus:

- new Valve job offering: Multimedia Software Engineers ( http://valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html ), mentions

Originally posted by Valve
    Designs and implements unique worldwide interactive public relations events for Valve?s AAA game launch announcements.
    HL3 confirmed? :P

Comment

Well good announcement. AAA game hints where exciting, and the general public has something to chew on for a couple of days, even if us Linux folks saw this coming from a mile away. I'm excited to hear more about the details of the hardware & software.

Comment

Well, in the worst case it will be just another android running a bunch of blobs. Steam itself is closed source after all. (One might wonder why they didn't go for freebsd, like other next gen consoles )

Comment

All one needs to do to find out what Valve intend to do with their OS is to simply look at the public repo where they are keeping it, something we have known about for months now: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM0MDc

[Edit: Looking through the repo again, it seems they haven't been doing much with it, still mostly seems a place holder. But it does seem to indicate that the have been planning to stick with being a *buntu derivative.]
          Last edited by IanS; 23 September 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Doubt SteamOS will be anything special except extremely customized for their needs+hardware.

Comment

Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.
              Looks like music to my ears.

Valve have a big problem with threes.
              We have
              HL, HL2
              TF, TF2
              L4D, L4D 2
              Portal, Portal 2
              Dota, Dota 2
              we even have
              HL2:E1 and HL2:E2

Valve is standing on number two in nearly all of their game series.
              My guess?
              Source 2 is unveiling number three (number two is steambox),
              Valve games generation three will be based on Source 2 and all
              of them will feature launch day steam play (win+mac+lin)

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                Doubt SteamOS will be anything special except extremely customized for their needs+hardware.
                I would hope they at least offer something resembling a rolling distro with respect to the latest Mesa updates and test for regressions such as the absurd input lag you get on AMD cards with ioQuake based games (well that was at least prevalent post 10.04 up to 12.04 I last tested).

I would also hope they provide the tools necessary for companies to port their titles. I remember a company that did this a number of years ago (10 year maybe?), but they were WAAAAY before their time and went out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  The webpage speaks of audio improvements (better latency etc.) Will this mean Valve will contribute to ALSA/Pulseaudio or are they making their own sound system? Frankly, the last thing Linux needs is another sound system...

Will it use systemd? Will it be compatible with non-steam games and all regular Linux applications? Can it be used as a general-purpose OS or is it limited to only function as a steam client?

This update gave more questions than answers.
                  I would guess, alsa->sdl2 or pulseaudio->sdl2.

Comment

I guess they needed to come up with their own distribution to avoid being dependent on other teams. An example is Canonical's decision to switch to Mir which probably affects Steam. I hope they stick to the standards adopted by the community and don't start coming up with their own technologies, and that Steam and all its games continue to work on all different distributions rather than being dependent strictly on SteamOS.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                      I guess they needed to come up with their own distribution to avoid being dependent on other teams. An example is Canonical's decision to switch to Mir which probably affects Steam. I hope they stick to the standards adopted by the community and don't start coming up with their own technologies, and that Steam and all its games continue to work on all different distributions rather than being dependent strictly on SteamOS.

Yeah. And the big elephant in the room is that Linux as a whole will benefit enormously from a much larger number of games that run on the Linux client. Like Michael has been saying, these are the biggest news for Linux gaming ? probably ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X