Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The SteamBox Countdown Is Complete

Hybrid View

Default The SteamBox Countdown Is Complete

Phoronix: The SteamBox Countdown Is Complete

The SteamBox countdown page just expired!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2NzI

there is now a 48hr countdown.

Linux distribution called SteamOS, not very impressing news, yet. Hopefully more to come.
    http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Sound like a nvidia shield like OS.

It does mention that multiple AAA games will be comming to the Linux platform in 2014.

Not too impressive, we all knew this was coming. We want details!

Will it use X or Wayland? I know they said X at some point, but it's not like a binding promise. The webpage speaks of audio improvements (better latency etc.) Will this mean Valve will contribute to ALSA/Pulseaudio or are they making their own sound system? Frankly, the last thing Linux needs is another sound system...

Will it use systemd? Will it be compatible with non-steam games and all regular Linux applications? Can it be used as a general-purpose OS or is it limited to only function as a steam client?

This update gave more questions than answers.

Think we all knew SteamOS was coming since Michael said Valve was looking for Linux experience and it doesn't necessarily have to be Linux game experience. I wonder what they did to improve graphic performance other than including binaries from AMD and Nvidia. I wonder if they will use BFS instead of CFS.

- They mention Steam OS will improve performance and decrease latency for input, graphics and sound
    - AAA game announcements for Steam OS/Linux soon
    - for the time being, Windows/Mac streaming to Stream OS
    - Music, Video, TV content soon
    - Game sharing for family & friends

Bonus:

- new Valve job offering: Multimedia Software Engineers ( http://valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html ), mentions

Quote Originally Posted by Valve
    Designs and implements unique worldwide interactive public relations events for Valve’s AAA game launch announcements.
    HL3 confirmed? :P

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    The webpage speaks of audio improvements (better latency etc.) Will this mean Valve will contribute to ALSA/Pulseaudio or are they making their own sound system? Frankly, the last thing Linux needs is another sound system...

Will it use systemd? Will it be compatible with non-steam games and all regular Linux applications? Can it be used as a general-purpose OS or is it limited to only function as a steam client?

I would guess, alsa->sdl2 or pulseaudio->sdl2.

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Not too impressive, we all knew this was coming. We want details!

Will it use X or Wayland? I know they said X at some point, but it's not like a binding promise. The webpage speaks of audio improvements (better latency etc.) Will this mean Valve will contribute to ALSA/Pulseaudio or are they making their own sound system? Frankly, the last thing Linux needs is another sound system...

I think it is more a question of Mir or Wayland, has until now Ubuntu has been the only distro with official support and official hardware will not come before 2014.

Has for can it be use for general purpose OS, I think it more a question of whatever will it have official package repository for such support, has I am certain someone will create package to make a desktop OS out of it if they don't.
    Last edited by iniudan; 09-23-2013 at 04:49 PM.

lol @ Ars. The MS fanboys are in total meltdown.