No announcement yet.

Dolphin Emulator 4.0 Released For GameCube, Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely you can use real wiimotes on most ARM? They're standard bluetooth?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Disappointing to not see a LTS version available as well as a current version. I bet there's a ppa for the LTS somewhere though.
      Nope, only way to get it working on the LTS is to compile it yourself, at least for now. Even that is problematic, because it requires gcc 4.7 to compile, and LTS only provides 4.6.

I'm now in the process of compiling the 4.7 version of gcc so that I can compile dolphin. Yeah... if I still can't play Metroid prime I'll be pissed.

Comment

Anyone knows what happened to the Qt frontend?

Comment

If you need a 32-bit build of it, chances are your PC is not going to be able to launch anything on it. The overhead is still huge, and Dolphin makes use of a lot of CPU and GPU features to boost the performance already.

Comment

Hi, Dolphin dev here.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I always found the Dolphin project to be very impressive. One of the best console emulators out there, even compared to some of the old school console emulators. Does get me to wonder though - how the hell is an ARM platform going to be able to play this effectively? Maybe the OGL rewrite made it perform better but I remember when I tried dolphin maybe 2 or 3 years ago, there were moments it was at 10fps playing a gamecube game on a system that could easily outperform any ARM platform today. I guess ARM being RISC might help a little bit.
            The most important point of the OGL rewrite was getting Dolphin to run on mobiles at all without requiring the use of our software renderer. We were using GL 2.1 and nvidia's Cg before, none of which are supported on mobile platforms. The GL3/GLES3 rewrite made it possible to use our OpenGL backend on those platforms in the first place. Performance was never considered at all until recently, given that the rewrite had been going for at least 2 years (.. for various reasons; one being the difficulty of the task itself, others being driver bugs, limited developer time and limited developer knowledge).

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            The performance isn't the problem, actually. ARM is advancing quick enough; I think it surpassed 2GHz already and we're up to something like 8 cores.
            The real problem is how on earth are you going to play console games that were designed for gamepads and/or the Wiimote on a touchscreen...
            Performance is actually a problem. More importantly, GLES3 driver support on mobiles is terrible to say the least. Many devices barely run Dolphin at all without crashing right away. Others barely run at 10 FPS because the drivers yet have not implemented e.g. the GL optimization hints that Dolphin uses.
            It's understandable though; Dolphin is about the first GLES3 applications which hits the Android market. The good thing is that many driver developers seem to be very cooperative and seem to be doing their best to make Dolphin run better on the affected devices.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            The real problem is how on earth are you going to play console games that were designed for gamepads and/or the Wiimote on a touchscreen...
            AFAIK most mobiles provide USB slots which can be used to connect gamepads. Wiimotes can theoretically be connected via bluetooth, however I'm not really sure if anyone tried that or if it's even meant to be supported yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
              Anyone knows what happened to the Qt frontend?
              The Qt frontend was started by me back at the time when I was the only one who thought the existing GUI code is an unmaintainable mess. I abandoned my branch due to the lacking support and unrealistic prospects of making the Qt frontend enabled by default. Another developer submitted a few patches for it but ultimately decided to create his own frontend using QtQuick instead (which I never even got running on my PC), ultimately abandoning that one as well.
              Nowadays, most devs in our project seems to agree that the wxWidgets GUI is crap (no way?! :P ) but no one can be motivated enough to do something about it. Mind you, things are changing though. We're planning on improving our core<->GUI interface so that writing a GUI will be less of a pain and hopefully will be able to ship Dolphin 5.0 with a better GUI based on Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Yeah... if I still can't play Metroid prime I'll be pissed.
                Loved that game btw! I hope you have fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  If you need a 32-bit build of it, chances are your PC is not going to be able to launch anything on it. The overhead is still huge, and Dolphin makes use of a lot of CPU and GPU features to boost the performance already.
                  Hmm? I need a 32-bit build because I'm using a 32-bit OS, not because I have a 32-bit-only CPU or anything.

I known I'm able to launch things on it, I've played several games on it on the previous version.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                      Does it work with Wayland?
                      There have been successful efforts on making Dolphin run on Wayland ( http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMwNDE ) but AFAIK the author has yet made no attempts on merging his work in.

Comment

Working...
                      X