AMD Publishes HDA Audio GPU Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Unless you're hitting one of the bugs you can enable it yourself with radeon.audio=1 though I agree it should be on by default
    Uh even on SI hardware? Last time I checked there was no support for it... will try that anyway tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      ! Amd forever!!!! Nvidia:

Thats why i bought a new hd7850(180?) passiv cooled for my system this month YES YES YES : FUCK YOU NVIDIA!!!!!

We just don't need nvidia anymore so please die faster Nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Uh even on SI hardware? Last time I checked there was no support for it... will try that anyway tomorrow morning.
        Not sure about SI >_> Alex? *cough*
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Support for SI/TN and newer hardware was added in 3.12. Additionally, with 3.12 you no longer need to boot with radeon.audio=1. You can enable/disable audio on the fly with xrandr. E.g., xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio auto

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Support for SI/TN and newer hardware was added in 3.12. Additionally, with 3.12 you no longer need to boot with radeon.audio=1. You can enable/disable audio on the fly with xrandr. E.g., xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio auto
            I'm assuming "--set audio" takes on/off/auto as arguments? With defaulting to auto, i would hope. So the only thing I should have to do is plug in my HDMI cable and point a stream from Pulseaudio at the HDMI connection and I should get output on the other end of the connection?

Side question, is xrandr persistent? I know screen settings werent really persistent, but other settings? Like if i wanted to turn HDMI audio off with

Code:
             xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio off
            would that persist across reboots?
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              I'm assuming "--set audio" takes on/off/auto as arguments? With defaulting to auto, i would hope. So the only thing I should have to do is plug in my HDMI cable and point a stream from Pulseaudio at the HDMI connection and I should get output on the other end of the connection?

Side question, is xrandr persistent? I know screen settings werent really persistent, but other settings? Like if i wanted to turn HDMI audio off with

Code:
               xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio off
              would that persist across reboots?
              It currently defaults to off (there are still some systems that have problems) and randr settings are not persistent (although perhaps some desktop environments store the user's randr property preferences). I'd like to eventually switch to auto by default, but for now you'll need to set it to auto youself.

Comment

Amazing. LPCM 24-bit 7.1 channel audio on my Linux box is very close!!!

Comment

I am also not affected by HDMI audio since I use classic methods and dedicated audio interfaces. Nevertheless: Good to read these news. A lot of people DO use HDMI adio. Things like this make life just better.
                  I recently threw money for Mom's new PC at AMD, and I'll continue to throw (as soon as I happen to have some). My eyes are on a E-1800 system for HTPC purposes...
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Now only if NVIDIA will follow suit with code for their HDMI audio implementations as used on their cards, but not holding my breath...

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      That didn't work. Setting radeon.audio=1 helped, though.
                      Trinity, 5800K.

Thanks, this was the last big missing feature for me!
                      Here's hoping that xbmc will work with vdpau -- but ubuntu doesn't even build the gallium state tracker in xorg-edgers yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X