I hate Ubuntu now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Ubuntu now.

Just personal experience, I had to update an old Linux box with ancient 13.04 recently and noticed application center turned into the commercial shop. One is literally blown apart instantly by huge amount of proprietary applications and ads with free software apps sitting in the bottom. I expected they could have started supporting free software applications, heck adding donation buttons would be nice. Amazon integration was removed by me recently, but now the search in Dash returns books and music purchase suggestions and dropbox appeared. What I mean - I observe the bombardment by opt-out ads and huge effort to sell proprietary completely omitting anything free software related, like some kind of commercial console. The reason I switched to other OS or started research from w***** was that I refused to promote and develop something that is not responding back equally, ignoring any opinions instead even agressively enslaving everything. Its like helping to build a bank, that will own very single piece of you. Like Doog from StarCon 3... Now, the same feeling I have for ubuntu. This is worrying..
    Last edited by brosis; 21 September 2013, 12:26 PM.

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Just personal experience, I had to update an old Linux box with ancient 13.04 recently and noticed application center turned into the commercial shop. One is literally blown apart instantly by huge amount of proprietary applications and ads with free software apps sitting in the bottom. I expected they could have started supporting free software applications, heck adding donation buttons would be nice. Amazon integration was removed by me recently, but now the search in Dash returns books and music purchase suggestions and dropbox appeared. What I mean - I observe the bombardment by opt-out ads and huge effort to sell proprietary completely omitting anything free software related, like some kind of commercial console. The reason I switched to other OS or started research from w***** was that I refused to promote and develop something that is not responding back equally, ignoring any opinions instead even agressively enslaving everything. Its like helping to build a bank, that will own very single piece of you. Like Doog from StarCon 3... Now, the same feeling I have for ubuntu. This is worrying..
    why did it take you so long LOL
    if you want a real Linux go help out on Tanglu they need developers!
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...eeds-your-Help!

Comment

Ubuntu is the worst thing ever made its complete shit

Comment

Now from what Mark has just posted i do too so i say Fuck Canonical Fuck Ubuntu and most of all FUCK YOU Mark Shuttleworth its far beyond time to jump ship from Ubuntu

Comment

Yup, same here. I was a consistent donor to Ubuntu too. Donated at least every release for last few years. Installing Arch is on my todo list now.

Comment

Originally posted by blahblah123 View Post
            Ubuntu is the worst thing ever made its complete shit
            Agreed...I remember Ubuntu when it first came out it was just as bad. Debian all the way for me.

For a newbie to Linux maybe try Mageia or Zorin instead of Ubuntu...no commercialized crap to worry about.

Comment

Well as much as I dislike Ubuntu, you have to admit that Ubuntu does have a better chance of making desktop Linux mainstream than any other distro because of Canonical's money and pr. I don't know, I moved on to Linux Mint and Arch since 12.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                Well as much as I dislike Ubuntu, you have to admit that Ubuntu does have a better chance of making desktop Linux mainstream than any other distro because of Canonical's money and pr. I don't know, I moved on to Linux Mint and Arch since 12.10.
                Except Ubuntu's market share has collapsed since the Unity debacle.

Comment

simple...

just use mythbuntu, uninstall the mythback and front end in the control center. the advantage is that the desktop is blank, and the menu is accessed through the top left corner...

disadvantage... 3.8 is standard,(for the 12.04.3 iso) so you will need to do a kernal update if you want 3.10... or later.

Comment

Aren't you getting the same with any of the *ubuntus and even the native Mint (based on Ubuntu packages?). I'm starting to get really sick of Kubuntu and the muon package manager. It hangs a lot.

I will install flavours of Debian on a replacement drive soon. I might even have OpenSUSE and Fedora on respective partitions.

Ubuntu is getting 'corrupted' like many are saying and they (Canonical) is not even funding the other brands (based on individual DEs) either.

Comment

Working...
                    X