Amd released radeon specs for HDMI Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd released radeon specs for HDMI Audio

Since I found no information in the right forum section here (all information went into the fglrx section of the forum under a different title...), amd seems to have released the specs for HDMI Audio on radeon cards. I bet this enables the drivers to support more than stereo or compressed 5.1 channel output in the next neartime.

See here for reference:

This was brought to my audience by xbmc developer fritsch who also got some good news for AMD OSS driver users: XBMC will work with the drivers in a near timeframe. A big missing piece was the missing support of the GLX extension VDPAU_INTEROP for mixed GL/video contexts. Christian Koenig has a patchset in his mesa git which adds in that extension.

See here:

So after all this is a pretty well day for amd powered mediapcs !

Yeah - we have it already implemented (multi port missing yet). Was a nice feeling when I listened to the first LPCM 5.1 192 khz flac file in my living room :-)

Anssi, xbmc team member is heading the development, if all goes well - tomorrow the code can hit alsa-dev ML.

No luck we have yet with DTS-HD, TrueHD passthrough - but who cares, when LPCM is working correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
      Yeah - we have it already implemented (multi port missing yet). Was a nice feeling when I listened to the first LPCM 5.1 192 khz flac file in my living room :-)

Anssi, xbmc team member is heading the development, if all goes well - tomorrow the code can hit alsa-dev ML.

No luck we have yet with DTS-HD, TrueHD passthrough - but who cares, when LPCM is working correctly.

Wow great news indeed. I have to admit I was very pessimistic about audio driver in linux, esp. since parts of it are copyrighted material to whom realtek owns the patents. But boy was I wrong. Good for AMD this.

Kind regards
      Brutalix.

Comment

Has hit world: http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipe...er/066578.html

Comment

I do! LPCM is of little value for me (and many others I'd say) since the normal use case is that DTS/DD is decoded by the AVR, not the PC.

Comment

Perhaps you can look into the spec again.
            DTS and DD only need 2 channel pcm audio and that works since ages. LPCM is a requirement (the number of channels) to Bitstream Audio like DTS-HD, TrueHD, which is coded over 8 channels. Btw. if your receiver can DTS-HD _and_ TrueHD - he also can do 7.1 LPCM.

So much about your technical facts :-)

Btw. (as of today monday) the following therefore works:

DTS 96/24
            DTS
            Dolby Digital (Ac3)
            E-AC3 (including 8 Channels)
            5.1 / 7.1 LPCM including 192 khz - for example if you have high quality 5.1 flacs, those are played in that format.

What not works for now is passthrough of:
            DTS-HD and TrueHD (here something will happen during that week).

Those two formats have a CORE, which makes it possible to just play the DTS or AC3 track out of those. As you have LPCM anyways, just use this.
            Last edited by fritsch; 23 September 2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Perhaps you can look into the spec again.
              DTS and DD only need 2 channel pcm audio and that works since ages. LPCM is a requirement (the number of channels) to Bitstream Audio like DTS-HD, TrueHD, which is coded over 8 channels. Btw. if your receiver can DTS-HD _and_ TrueHD - he also can do 7.1 LPCM.
              DD 5.1 (3/2.1) needs only 2 channel pcm?

And no, my receiver can't do tha *HD variantes, just normal DTS/DD for up to 6 channels.

Comment

DD and DTS are "virtual formats" coded via 2 channels pcm.

So the new HDA spec is not needed for you and your receiver at all.

But you could show a bit of happiness for all the other folks outside ;-)

Comment

This is really good news!

Comment

Working...
                  X