Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon EC2 Cloud Comparison Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: Amazon EC2 Cloud Comparison Performance Benchmarks

As it's been nearly one year since we last put out some reference benchmarks of Amazon's EC2 Cloud, or compared the different operating system's in Amazon's cloud, it's time to kick off a new round of cloud performance benchmarks. Coming out today are new benchmarks of Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud when benchmarking various on-demand instance types.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be nice to see some bare metal hardware included in the list for comparison with dedicated servers.

Comment

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
      Would be nice to see some bare metal hardware included in the list for comparison with dedicated servers.
      Agree, but at least those number are still nice to do your own comparison, if you don't mind testing yourself.

Comment

I'd also be interested in seeing popular server distros (ubuntu, debian, fedora, scientific/centos), and newer kernels benchmarked against this [RHEL-based] "Amazon Linux". I ran a rails development server (small) on Amazon briefly about 4-5 years ago, using an ubuntu ami. It was pretty pokey as I recall. I'm also intrigued by the announced (unreleased) "OSv".
        Last edited by dsmithhfx; 20 September 2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Regions and AZ's

I would love to see a comparison of the different regions (east / west) and availability zones (a,b,c,d).

In any case, keep up the great work!

--shamer

Comment

Originally posted by shamer View Post
            I would love to see a comparison of the different regions (east / west) and availability zones (a,b,c,d).

In any case, keep up the great work!

--shamer
            Likely not to happen as too costly with too many instances and likely not enough traffic/interest to make up for it.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have some data to release next week.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Any interest in identical benchmarks performed in digitalocean, linode, etc as well? I've got some free time and I might be able to do it over the next week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by PelPix View Post
                  Any interest in identical benchmarks performed in digitalocean, linode, etc as well? I've got some free time and I might be able to do it over the next week or so.
                  I have interest but haven't been able to do them yet due to cost.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

How long do the benches take? 2, 3, 4 hours? I can't see that costing more than $50 total to test all the tiers on an ultralight service like digitalocean. If it's more like 10 or 12, I can understand. Linode may also be significantly more expensive because of their larger and more useful toolset though.

I think linode and AWS are ten times as expensive as digitalocean, as far as I can remember, but you get what you pay for with more load distribution flexibility and additional services.

Let me do the math and see if I have the money either.

Edit:

I forgot. Linode doesn't have per-hour billing, does it? That limits things a lot, so I guess it's just down to DigitalOcean and AWS unless we want to spend a truckload of cash.
                    Last edited by PelPix; 20 September 2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X