Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At $2.4 Million Dollars, HIB #9 Gets Four More Titles

Phoronix: At $2.4 Million Dollars, HIB #9 Gets Four More Titles

There's just less than one week to go until the end of the Humble Indie Bundle 9 where you can pay what you want for a collection of cross-platform games, which already have pulled in $2.4 million dollars from 520 thousand gamers. Now there's four more games added to the bundle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to see A Virus Named TOM finally ported, I've had that one on my wishlist for ages while waiting for a port. Rocketbirds is the only other one that is new to a HIB at this point though, the other two are rehashes. Rocketbirds is lacking a Steam Linux version at the moment and unfortunately LIMBO is also still lacking on that front. I've been wanting to replay LIMBO recently to get the achievements, but it seems I'll have to keep waiting on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
      Rocketbirds is lacking a Steam Linux version at the moment and unfortunately LIMBO is also still lacking on that front.
      It's strange, because Limbo has had a Linux version right from the first time it appeared in Humble Bundles. I wonder why it doesn't appear in Steam.

Comment

I can't believe that Limbo is still a part of HIB after so many negative comments from many Linux users. I think that was above one year ago when I had to run a Mac version of Limbo, because i really didn't want to ran Windows version of Limbo on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
          I can't believe that Limbo is still a part of HIB after so many negative comments from many Linux users. I think that was above one year ago when I had to run a Mac version of Limbo, because i really didn't want to ran Windows version of Limbo on Linux.
          It's still a part because it is an amazing game that most everyone seems to love. The Linux version works fine, it comes bundled in a Wine wrapper that works flawlessly on Linux without any messing around, or at least it did for me and my friends anyhow. The only issue I have is that I would like to play it on Steam for the added benefits that it provides. From what I gather reading up on the issue, it comes down to them using a 3rd party sound library that I guess they can't (or won't) port to Linux, so they decided to just wrap the game in Wine rather than strip out the audio bits and replace them with something like OpenAL.
          Last edited by IanS; 19 September 2013, 05:03 AM.

Comment

it comes down to them using a 3rd party sound library that I guess they can't (or won't) port to Linux
            Trine 2 uses same library, as I remember.

Comment

It's still a part because it is an amazing game that most everyone seems to love. The Linux version works fine, it comes bundled in a Wine wrapper that works flawlessly on Linux without any messing around, or at least it did for me and my friends anyhow. The only issue I have is that I would like to play it on Steam for the added benefits that it provides. From what I gather reading up on the issue, it comes down to them using a 3rd party sound library that I guess they can't (or won't) port to Linux, so they decided to just wrap the game in Wine rather than strip out the audio bits and replace them with something like OpenAL.
              And this is why, just like Dear Ester, it wasn't allowed on the Linux Steam store. The difference being that Dear Ester finally made a native port and are currently steamifying it.

By not making it native they are putting themselves out of the most visible portion of Linux gaming not to mention all of the people like myself that refuse to buy a game that doesn't have a native port.

If you are going to use Wine we may as well pirate the Windows version instead of pay for a kludged together "port" version.

Comment

Talking about shitty ports?

Mark of the ninja. The game automatically assumes that the user has an xbox controller, and thus doesn't work properly with a regular gamepad, and doesn't allow to configure the gamepad controls in any way. This totally ruined the game for me.

Hello. If you port your game to Linux, don't assume the user is using an xbox controller! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

Comment

Working...
                X